Some recommendations for AV processors/receivers & HDMI cables please.

Babur72

Nov 25, 2007
Visit site
Hi guys,

Just had some good news 'bout the Pinoeer KRP-500A i had on order.I understand that it's among the last new KRP's being delivered to my dealer & should be here within the next fortnight.

I'd appreciate some recommendations for decent HDMI cables & AV processors receivers of commensurate performance & quality.

Thanks.

BABUR.

A

Anonymous

Hi Babur,

I think it would help if you could specify what budget you had in mind, then some of the more experienced people can put some ideas forward. Alternatively if budget and space is no option:

http://www.whathifi.com/Review/BandW-CT800-system/

You'd still need to power it somehow as well. . .

emotion-4.gif

Babur72

Nov 25, 2007
Visit site
Hi guys,

Sorry that my initial post didn't contain enough relevant info.I did post it a bit hastily.

My current room measures 18.5ft(5.64m) long x 14.5ft(4.42m) wide.With a bay window extending more than 3ft(1m) at one end.My eventual Hi-Fi/AV room measures 28.5ft(8.69m) long x 18.5ft(5.64m) wide,but the floor is completely & the walls are partially tiled in marble...So,i'm sure you can imagine how lively the acoustics are?!

Budget is fairly generous(considering the economic climate & my forthcoming wedding)...I reckon the same as i spent for the screen,up to £3,000- per a.v. component should suffice.

Although i may push the boat out a bit further for the purchase(post-wedding funds & soon-to-be Mrs permitting) of a seperate multi-channel processor which is capable of handling multi-channel DSD aswell as multi-channel PCM encoded media.Probably talking around the £5,000- mark,no doubt.

As for speakers.My plan is to install a decent 2 or 2.1-channel system initially then,later,integrate the 2-channel system into a multi-channel audio/home-theatre system by the addition of a multi-channel power-amp. & 2/3 speakers.

I tried a pair of B&W800D's which i eventually decided against,as they clashed a bit with the room's ambient acoustics & weren't as open & airy in the higher frequencies as i'd have prefered.

Current candidates for speakers to hear on home trial include: ATC - SCM100ASL actives; Focal - Scala Utopia III; Peak Consult - Empress; Tannoy - Yorkminster SE's or Canterbury SE's; Vienna Acoustics - Beethoven Concert Grand(could possibly stretch to Vienna Acoustics - 'The Music'); Zu Audio - Definition MkII semi-actives.

I'm conscious of selecting speakers with relatively high sensitivities of around 90db(1w/2.83v@1m) or higher.And those with relatively easy current load requirements ie. nominal impedences of at least 6 Ohms & min. impedences of 3 Ohms or more.

For the moment,until i've decided on the floorstanding front-L/R speakers,i'll just be using Pioneer's optional extra side-speakers.

In the meantime,i'd appreciate any recommendations of universal blue-ray players,av processors/receivers & HDMI cabling which i should short-list for auditioning that are of commensurate quality & would maximise the display's video playback performance.

Regards & thanks.

BABUR.

A

Anonymous

I would suggest to audition the NAD M15HD Surround Sound Processor with its sensational NAD M25 7-channel Power Amplifier partner.

Otherwise, for a one-box A/V Receiver solution, in this order, I would suggest the Yamaha DSP-Z11, Pioneer 'LX91, and Denon AVC-A1HDA.

Dan.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Going for just a processor I would strongly consider the Anthem D2v - it ticks every box you can think of and will sound supreb to boot. Match it up with a Marantz UD9004 and you will have one of the best front ends you can get today.

Speaker wise I would consider a range of speakers that include a centre. You have a varied list there and I would suggest a listen to the Kef Reference range as well as PMC if you can. Both excel in stereo performance and have the size to fill your room without feeling troubled.

Babur72

Nov 25, 2007
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Thanks Dantan.My brother-in-law has tried some NAD components in the past & while their performance means they're really good value,i'd prefer to run my eventual system,especially the front L/R channels,fully balanced througout as there'll be roughly 16 to 18ft between component rack,speakers & display.

And thanks THC.Checked out Anthem's website.Blimey!..These D2v's sure are big,ugly brutes,aren't they?!..They've certainly crammed in plenty of signal-processing functionality...I wonder how much they'll fetch?

Cheers guys.

BABUR.

A

Anonymous

Perhaps the Arcam AV888 Surround Sound Processor and P777 7-channel Power Amplifier. Fully balanced out- and in-puts standard.

Hopefully, Arcam will be able to resolve their firmware issues COMPLETELY very soon, because their audio gear is certainly top-notch.

Dan.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
The Anthem isn't that pretty but a closed equipment rack can soon solve that. They are not cheap but simple things like the fantastic room eq and high quality 2ch processing will make the very most of your room.

Babur72

Nov 25, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the advice Dan & Nick,

I'd appreciate any advice/experiences/views on HDMI cabling between my plasma display & a Sky+HD box.

I'm uncertain about whether it's worth purchasing an expensive HDMI cable(such as Chord Co. - HDMI Silver Plus v1.3,Chord Co. - HDMI Active Silver Plus v1.3b,Ecosse - Picture Perfect Ultra HDMI v1.3,Ecosse - Picture Perfect Ultra Plus HDMI v1.3,QED - Qunex HDMI-P v1.3,Van Den Hul - Flat HDMI v1.3 or VDH - Flat 180 HDMI v1.3 etc.),when i understand that Sky's HD broadcasts won't be much more than 720p.

Would a v1.3a or v1.3b compatible HDMI cable give me any worthwhile improvement in audio &/or video performance when viewing Sky+HD programming?

Or do you believe it would prove more beneficial spending a bit less on HDMI cabling from the Sky+HD box to plasma screen & saving the serious money on a better HDMI cable between Blue-Ray player,Multi-Channel Processor/Receiver & display?

Nick.According to their website,Anthem don't currently seem to have any UK dealers for me to demo. the Dv2.Although i'm sure it's just a matter of time.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

BABUR.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
The debate on cables will rage on. We would use Chord Active HDMI cables in a set up of this nature. You get great results at a good price.

As for Anthem we are looking to become a dealer shortly if you fancy a trip to Edinburgh. On a previous note we took delivery of our Marantz UD9004 bluray and it is quite something to say the least!

Babur72

Nov 25, 2007
Visit site
Hi Nick,

Edinburgh eh?

Well,i do have a couple of family friends & relations living in Edinburgh/Lothian,who i've not seen in a few years.

I suspect this may be against house rules,but i'd appreciate you letting me know if you will be stocking the Anthem Dv2s if at all possible.

And do you believe the new Chord Co. HDMI v1.3b Active Silver Plus would make much difference over Chord Co's. HDMI v1.3 Silver Plus for Sky+HD viewing?

Thanks.

BABUR.

A

Anonymous

I own 3 pairs of The Chord Company HDMI v1.3 Silver Plus cables, and they are fantastic. I personally would be keen to find out if the new The Chord Company HDMI v1.3b Active Silver Plus will be a worthwhile upgrade.

I am a firm believer in spending good, decent money on good cables. The way I look at it personally is, what is the point of me purchasing top-notch hardware only to skimp on the 'transport' of the signals between hardware?

The Anthem looks like a great piece of kit. However, I know that it shall be well within my reach even in the future.

Dan.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts