Some Munich 2018 Feedback

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
We have been discussing certain topics lately so I thought I would give some feedback from what I experienced at the show relevant to them and some other bits.

You see comments written by people on how can sound get any better than what I currently have - go to this show and experience it because the standard is ultra high, none of the companies exhibiting mess around - there is as much attention put into the rooms as the systems in most cases. There is a lot to be learnt from this show and work towards.

Cambridge Audio Edge products sound very good - they were mega impressive in fact and very well built.

I tried an A/B comparison with the Mutec MC3+ USB and their REF 10 Master Clock - no comparison with the master Clock the sound was miles better so that is potentially on my radar.

I did an A/B comparison between the Innuos Zenith and their new Zenith Statement - wow the statement is outstanding and so much better, but it is expensive.

I really liked the sound from some StenHeim speakers, didnt know any of the kit but really liked the presentation.

I also really liked some massive horn speakers playing big band music

I also heard B&W 800's a lot and they are really growing on me - I like that range a lot.

I got to hear the new Hegel h590 with KEF Blades and so much different stuff.

Overall its motivated me to do better with my own system and what more could you want from the attendance of a hifi show - happy days

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
We have been discussing certain topics lately so I thought I would give some feedback from what I experienced at the show relevant to them and some other bits.

You see comments written by people on how can sound get any better than what I currently have - go to this show and experience it because the standard is ultra high, none of the companies exhibiting mess around - there is as much attention put into the rooms as the systems in most cases. There is a lot to be learnt from this show and work towards.

Cambridge Audio Edge products sound very good - they were mega impressive in fact and very well built.

I tried an A/B comparison with the Mutec MC3+ USB and their REF 10 Master Clock - no comparison with the master Clock the sound was miles better so that is potentially on my radar.

I did an A/B comparison between the Innuos Zenith and their new Zenith Statement - wow the statement is outstanding and so much better, but it is expensive.

I really liked the sound from some StenHeim speakers, didnt know any of the kit but really liked the presentation.

I also really liked some massive horn speakers playing big band music

I also heard B&W 800's a lot and they are really growing on me - I like that range a lot.

I got to hear the new Hegel h590 with KEF Blades and so much different stuff.

Overall its motivated me to do better with my own system and what more could you want from the attendance of a hifi show - happy days

What were your impressions of the Hegel h590 with KEF Blades?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I got to listen to them about 1oclock on the Sunday, by then I had listened to a lot of other really good stuff.

The KEF Demo room was more like a show room than a listening room - beautiful room to be in and great to look at their products but not the best for sound really.

It was ok, and normally would be pretty impressive, but I had listened to so much really good sound by then it didnt blow me away being totally honest.

Would you say the standard was similar to the Absolute Sounds dems at Windsor last autumn? The Progression amps and Wilson speakers were the best audio I’ve ever heard, at least for approximating the live experience of dynamics and scale.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
There is more there at that standard yes and generally more larger rooms so there is more scope for it, and a wider selection in terms of variety.

It was mostly drop in and out demos - the setup demos I went into were in spoken German, I really like the setup demos at Windsor from a filimg point of view, I can setup the camera on a tripod.

in the MBL demo it was so busy I had to hold my camera rig up above my head tilting down for as long as my arms could hold it - about 3kg doesnt sound like much but it is :)

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Very misleading again
tried an A/B comparison with the Mutec MC3+ USB and their REF 10 Master Clock - no comparison with the master Clock the sound was miles better so that is potentially on my radar.

I bet this was not blind and you knew exactly which one was playing after listening to the sales pitch??

insider9

I spent over an hour the other day going through pics my wife's cousin took. Wow, there was so much gear there! And all visually stunning. I've not even had a chance to speak to him yet but somehow I feel like we'll be talking about his new Karan amp and not Munich.

I'm looking forward to more vids, Ellisdj, but must admit looking at it all I feel like a diabetes sufferer in a sweet shop.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Most of it is very expensive, I ddnt even ask, but I found some gems in there of interest to me.

Products from Furutech I am hoping to get in, Cambridhe Audio Edge products and I forgot to mention the ClearAudio VW Camper with a working turntable in that still plays when you rock the van.

That should make a fun video - I love clearaudio turntables

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
The other thing the show has got me thinking about is room acoustics and I am considering adding more.

I currently have about 30 panels in the room but I thinking about adding some more diffusion.

Interestingly I met with GIK acoustics and they have released a service on their website and an app.

The website service or it could be the app lets you design your room by taking photos of it - then you can place treatments and see what it looks like etc.

It also goes one stage futher and you can use augmented reality to see what the panel looks like that way - that is just so cool.

We will see on that one for me, seriously interested but I have a lot of projects to consider and do

insider9

ellisdj said:
The other thing the show has got me thinking about is room acoustics and I am considering adding more.

I currently have about 30 panels in the room but I thinking about adding some more diffusion.

Interestingly I met with GIK acoustics and they have released a service on their website and an app.

The website service or it could be the app lets you design your room by taking photos of it - then you can place treatments and see what it looks like etc.

It also goes one stage futher and you can use augmented reality to see what the panel looks like that way - that is just so cool.

We will see on that one for me, seriously interested but I have a lot of projects to consider and do 
That is definitely something I'd like to do. Fair play to GIK Acoustics for moving with times.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:
I love clearaudio turntables

https://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/new-system-amp-and-speakers-advicesagain?page=8

‘ high quality high end audiophile precission low microphony hifi equipment.’

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I am not a vinyl man but yes please

20180513_161819.jpg

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
You kronies have no taste - that was one of the only things all weekend I took a still of - that would fit lovely in my room, awesome thing in the flesh

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
ellisdj said:
You kronies have no taste - that was one of the only things all weekend I took a still of - that would fit lovely in my room, awesome thing in the flesh

Gaudy I think is the appropriate word. I would not shout too much about taste, I've seen your playlist.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
lpv said:
https://www.pursuitperfectsystem.com/ellis-photography.html

that was the first time I had ever held a real camera in my hand. I don't think it's too bad considering - now your just being a ****

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
don’t get frustrated, learn some basics in photography before posting your efforts online, will you?

the internet in flooded already

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
ellisdj said:
lpv said:
https://www.pursuitperfectsystem.com/ellis-photography.html

that was the first time I had ever held a real camera in my hand. I don't think it's too bad considering - now your just being a ****

They don't look that bad to me but then I'm not a Photographyphile , ( is there such a word ? ) *biggrin*

I particularly like the pic of the old cottage. *good*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts