Some good sounding stereo receiver? Is there any?

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
What do you think about sound quality of stereo receivers?

I intend to replace my old Arcam Alpha 7 R amplifier with a good stereo receiver, is cheaper to buy a stereo receiver than buying an amplifier plus a turner.I have a very good Arcam cd player, so I needn't all in one system.

I am looking for a warm sound like the sound of Nad C326 or 316 amplifiers. Only for classical music, not for bum-bum disco

lecson

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Pick a good one and they should sound indistinguishable from a good separates system. Cambridge Audio would be a good bet. Teac do one. I think NAD may do one too or you could go for one of their AV receivers.

I'd be a little cautious about buying an all-in-one like a receiver, not for performance reasons but simply because the UK government keeps changing its mind about FM. i doubt it will happen but there's always the danger it may get switched off if they think they can flog the waveband.

Then there is the DAB / DAB+ confusion …

There's a better choice on the internet and, certainly for classical, better quality with higher bitrate than DAB or FM transmission. Both BBC and overseas stations stream at 320kbps. I regularly listen to Swiss, Hungarian and French classical stations and they all offer a choice of bitrate. Public radio stations in the USA are also good for classical. Useful to have available when good old Radio 3 goes of on an interminable discussion about something.

Tibor said:
What do you think about sound quality of stereo receivers?

I intend to replace my old Arcam Alpha 7 R amplifier with a good stereo receiver, is cheaper to buy a stereo receiver than buying an amplifier plus a turner.I have a very good Arcam cd player, so I needn't all in one system.

I am looking for a warm sound like the sound of Nad C326 or 316 amplifiers. Only for classical music, not for bum-bum disco

All the noises from the Onkyo camp sound encouraging, but you'll need to audition some and see how they stack up.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
In the naughties the quality from receivers was definitely sub-par vs. hifi separates when it came to pure musical playback. Or at least I found it so. HOWEVER, that may have had as much to do with speakers (yes, and cables) I could afford stateside to go with them,

Nowadays, however, the decent receivers seem to have decent DACs built into them and the audio quality should be on par with mid-price (i.e. up to 500 quid a box) hifi. The DACs are certainly better than those found in budget CD players, and of course, you are somewhat future proof for DTS audio. I currently have an Onkyo TX-NR717 which will "bi-amp" the front channel speakers using the front high level (as in altitude) channels which I don't want / use at present. It will play FLACs froma portable pocket sized 1 terabyte Western Digitial hard disk via the front USB, also from a PC or ethernet source. It should also do the same from the internerd, but I haven't worked that bit out yet. Internerd radio, BTW, may make all to talk about FM vs DAB redundant as both go the way of the BBC Home and Light Services. IMHO of course.

I'm using Klipsch RF-42 floorstanders, however, as the American indoors won't allow anything bigger and certainly not more expensive. It's apparent to me having tried using both the matching Onkyo Bluray and Onkyo CD player as sources, that the speakers might why the setup sounds weak playing pure music.

My advice, therefore, is audition receivers you like based mostly on audio. I would recommend listening to the Onkyo and Yamaha kit, but make sure you spend enough on speakers (yes, and cables). If you can, take along your favourite FLAC file(s) on a USB hard disk or pen / stick thing-ey as well as on CD.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
In the naughties the quality from receivers was definitely sub-par vs. hifi separates when it came to pure musical playback. Or at least I found it so. HOWEVER, that may have had as much to do with speakers (yes, and cables) I could afford stateside to go with them,

Nowadays, however, the decent receivers seem to have decent DACs built into them and the audio quality should be on par with mid-price (i.e. up to 500 quid a box) hifi. The DACs are certainly better than those found in budget CD players, and of course, you are somewhat future proofed for DTS audio. I currently have an Onkyo TX-NR717 which will "bi-amp" the front channel speakers using the front high level (as in altitude) channels which I don't want / use at present. It will play FLACs from a portable pocket sized 1 terabyte Western Digitial hard disk via the front USB, also from a PC or ethernet source. It should also do the same from the internerd, but I haven't worked that bit out yet. Internerd radio, BTW, may make all to talk about FM vs DAB redundant as both go the way of the BBC Home and Light Services. IMHO of course.

I'm using Klipsch RF-42 floorstanders, however, as the American indoors won't allow anything bigger and certainly not more expensive. It's apparent to me having tried using both the matching Onkyo Bluray and Onkyo CD player as sources, that the speakers might why the setup sounds weak playing pure music.

My advice, therefore, is audition receivers you like based mostly on audio. I would recommend listening to the Onkyo and Yamaha kit, but make sure you spend enough on speakers (yes, and cables). If you can, take along your favourite musicin FLAC format on a USB hard disk or pen / stick thing-ey as well as on CD and make sure you get to listen to internet radio on the thing - you might need to hook it up to a TV for this.

T

the record spot

Whether it's the Onkyo TX-8050 (which is a stereo, network capable receiver) or one of the AV amps such as the aforesaid NR717 or as in my case, the 818, you won't be doing any harm checking out what they can do. I had the 8050 for about 18 months before buying the 818 a few weeks back. Delighted with both. I'll sell you the 8050 for a reasonable price too if you're interested. I'll stop there out of respect for the non-trading rules here.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts