SOME BODY HELP! I just cant make up my mind

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I am completely confused with where im going and what i should be settling at. I have been devouring information on speakers, receivers, amps, pre amps .... etc etc etc. the more i read, the less im sure of.

Dilemma 1:

Well, firstly my primary requirement is for music (80% of the time) and the balance for home theater. Is 20% of my time worth going in for a AV receiver, or should i go in for a stereo receiver instead?

AV Receiver DENON AVR1910

Stereo Receiver Roksan Kandy K2

The fear is that i may regret not having an AV receiver later on.... will i? wont i???? confused ;-p

Dilemma 2:

Speakers. I have the choice between the B&W 683 and CM7 (Getting both at the same price).

OR i can look at the Mordaunt Short Mezzo 6 Or Dali Ikon 6.

Any Suggestions? Please help as im going crazy and increasingly impatient! thanks

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
The only person that can decide is you, however as you say 80% of the use would be music, then I would concentrate on buying a systen that meets you requiements for music replay. If it has a few shortcoming in film soundtracks, then so be it. I would try and find somewhere to listen to the various options open to you. The choices are far wider than those you list.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Agreed, for 80% music, concentrate your funds on getting a great sound for music which means a stereo amp. Movies will still sound a grand sight better through your stereo amp compared with your TV speakers.

If you feel you want to go into surround sound later, you can then always add an AV receiver with front pre-outs.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Guys!

I am leaning towards a stereo amp/receiver.

Any suggestions? For the B&W 683's or 684's

PS: the listening room is approx 450 Sq.Ft.

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
I'll start by saying that for whatever reason B&W's have not really appealed to me, so I'm the wrong person to make suggestions. When I have heard them and liked the sound they have been powered by Creek, Rotel or Rega.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
IMO the Kandy K2 would sing best with the B&W 684's or the CM7's.

Dont get me wrong; the B&W 683's are brilliant speakers but the 684's are just that bit more agile and just as deep and powerful with the bass.

The CM7's are superb speakers and would marry well with the K2 as well but it depends on what music you listen to as to whether you go for the 684's or the CM7's.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, what other brands should i be looking at? I am in Mumbai, and there arent many options available here!

Polk, PSB, Wharfedale, B&W, Mordaunt Short, Kef

I listen to a lot of rock, guitar solos & instrumentals (flute, sax)

I am having a hard time getting hold of the K2 here in Mumbai. Have seen the Cambridge audio 600 and 800 series.

A

Anonymous

kunal75:
Thanks Guys!

I am leaning towards a stereo amp/receiver.

Any suggestions? For the B&W 683's or 684's

PS: the listening room is approx 450 Sq.Ft.

No idea of what is 450Sq.ft in meters (well, I've just googled it and it's about 40m2), so the 683 would be my choice. Bigger speakers give you a fuller sound and your room is big enough to accommodate them for not to sound boomy. But CM7 is the best option for me if you're having them at the same price of the 683 (and you can have them in its beautiful piano black finish). B&W get on well with rock music IMHO.

Monitor audio RS8 or RS6 (in the same price tag as the spotted B&W) would deserve to be listened, but I don't know if they get on well with the Kandy.

Cambridge 800 series would be a good choice too (if you are considering amps in the kandy k2 price tag).

Cheers (and happy buying)

A

Anonymous

Finally i have shortlisted

Speakers B&W 683/684/CM7

Stereo Receiver : Rotel RA1520 / K2 / CA 800 Series

Going Shopping Tomm :)

A

Anonymous

I have the CM7's (in paino black) and very happy. I demoed the 683 and 684, but the CM's were a step up. I use them in a home cinema set up mainly (so you would be covered going forward) and have nothing but praise.

A

Anonymous

IM DONE !Just got the B&W 684's (Didnt like the 683's and the CM7's were not that much better, that i would pay 50% more) and got the Rotel RA-06, with Marantz KI signature CD player. Looking forward to them being delivered tomorrow!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts