Solid Base for floor standing speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

My Accustic Energey Evo 3B floor standing speakers are currently on a carpet and have spikes which are pushed in to the carpet. Underneath the carpet is thick underlay followed by wooden floor boards.

They are not rigid and ocassionally move slightly when people walk from one side of the room to the other. I was thinking about

placing some sort base underneath the speakers to prevent them moving. Can any one tell me the following;-

1) What material should i use underneath the speakers

2)should i keep the spikes on when i place them on the base or remove them.

3)Will i notice an improvement in the sound quality

Thanks

Kawal :help: :help:

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

Try granite chopping boards under each. People use this method often to tighten bass on subs which are placed on wooden floors.

So this could help you're floor standers.

Argos do them cheap and if they don't make an improvement you can always take back for a refund.

mykspence

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Going back a few years to when I had carpet, the solution for me was to screw 4 large coach screws (M8 x 50) into the wooden floor, adjust the height so they were just proud of the carpet, level them in both axis, then place a piece of granit onto them for the speakers to sit on. Result, solid speakers. If the non music listener of the house is concerned about the carpet, the screws won't leave any visible damage.

A

Anonymous

Hi mykspence,

You would have to take the speaker spikes off prior to placing them on the granite base?

thanks for the advice

Kawal

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Kawal said:
You would have to take the speaker spikes off prior to placing them on the granite base?

You can buy spike shoes; or you can make them from 1Ps, by using a "punch" to make a dent that the spike sits in. If you want further luxury on these homemade spike shoes, you can stick those felt" floor savers" on the other side.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
+1 for the granite chopping boards. I've got 2 under each of my speaker stands. I got mine from Aldi - cheap as chips I left my spikes on. Huge difference in tightening up the bass.

A

Anonymous

Hi Dan,

What method did you use when placing the granite boards especially using two of them together. Did you use any

form of glue to stick the boards together and did you place them directly on your carpet prior to placing the speakers on

Regards

Kawal :bounce:

TRENDING THREADS