Hi Fi Decision

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Is sound quality better when speaker cables are soldered into plugs or not? If cables are soldered should there be any exposed wire at the plug end? My Linn dealer soldered some Linn plugs onto a cable for me and there is a small amount of copper wire exposed on all the plugs.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
hello i hope i can help. i dont hold with plugs for my connections i use bare wire,thats not to say i disagree with banana plugs or spades as some older equipment have small terminals and spades are good for this type of connection,ie old valve amps but if a linn dealer had soldered my cables in this way they would have gone straight back to be tidied up.there is a danger of the wires touching and shorting the equipment,do they have collars on them the red and black sleeves that identify proper phase connections.i cant believe a linn dealer could do this,they are very good as a whole but i suppose there is always the odd one who's soldering skills are not up to scratch.on some of my equipment i use the screw type plugs and spades as i change speakers and amps from time to time,they are easy to change as no resoldering is required but this is for my old equipment that i muck about with from time to time,i am a bit of a collector so a lot of my gear is stored in cupboards as the wife is fed up with the place looking like a laskys showroom(thats one for the older members) but for my main system no plugs at all i just trim off a couple mm's every year or so just long enough for the screws to cover the wires so none are showing therefor no chance of shorting.if you wish to continue with soldered plugs do so but make sure there are no wires exposed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts