So who has pre-ordered a 4K blu-ray player then?

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
But Netflix 4K is I stereo not 7.1 or even 5.1. On the other hand GoT streamed from HBO Now (or HBO go) over an Amazon Fire box comes through in 1080p but 7.1. Grrrrr...... Like I say maybe I've got something set wrong but you would think if they're going to the bother of streaming 4K they could do so in surround sound. Anyway, I haven't seen the Panasonic 4K player in the shops here, so maybe it isn't being imported into the US (which I doubt) or they've sold out already. The Samsung got crummy reviews in WHF's head to head with the Panasonic. So I'm waiting for the second generation, which hopefully will hit the shelves for my birthday mid November, just before Thanksgiving here. Fingers crossed....

erm...i get 5.1 audio even with 4k..

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
But Netflix 4K is in stereo not 7.1 or even 5.1. On the other hand GoT streamed from HBO Now (or HBO go) over an Amazon Fire box comes through in 1080p but 7.1.
Grrrrr......
Like I say maybe I've got something set wrong but you would think if they're going to the bother of streaming 4K they could do so in surround sound.
Anyway, I haven't seen the Panasonic 4K player in the shops here, so maybe it isn't being imported into the US (which I doubt) or they've sold out already.
The Samsung got crummy reviews in WHF's head to head with the Panasonic.
So those two factors combined leaves me still waiting for the second generation, which hopefully will hit the shelves for my birthday mid November, just before Thanksgiving here.
Fingers crossed....

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
bigboss said:
Which TV is it? You should have an HDMI input on your TV labelled "ARC" (Audio Return Channel) for this very purpose.

I do, but I'm not sure it's the same one as the HDCP2.2 compatible one. As I said, I shall have to have a play....

BTW HBO go is now available on selected Samsung smart TVs as an app like Netflix, so I've already reassigned two of my Amazon Fire boxes to non smart TVs and will probably reassign at least one more shortly. Seems as long as you have one HBO now subscription you can use HBO go on all your other TVs. Cool.

Benedict_Arnold said:
bigboss said:
Which TV is it? You should have an HDMI input on your TV labelled "ARC" (Audio Return Channel) for this very purpose.

I do, but I'm not sure it's the same one as the HDCP2.2 compatible one. As I said, I shall have to have a play....

BTW HBO go is now available on selected Samsung smart TVs as an app like Netflix, so I've already reassigned two of my Amazon Fire boxes to non smart TVs and will probably reassign at least one more shortly. Seems as long as you have one HBO now subscription you can use HBO go on all your other TVs. Cool.
ARC has been around for a number of years. It has nothing to do with HDCP 2.2. If you connect the AVR to HDMI ARC of the TV, you can then change the audio settings in your TV to pass sound to the AVR.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts