So..where best to spend money on an upgrade..?!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

MaxLegroom

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
thanaks all so much for the considerations here and the time you've put into considering where best to help me make these improvements ; I'm currently utilising a variety of Auralex room treatments to get the very best out of the kit so I hear the kit and not necessarily the room ; Auralex kindly designed the room layout for me. I clearly have a lot of auditioning to do however that's not a new journey for us audiophiles eh... Re the Cyrus/ATC 'bright' partnering ; I agree however that's a partnering I favour to help with upper clarity ; I'm utilising Townshend Supertweeters too... Too much kit?!!!

MaxLegroom

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
i would be cheeseboy if I wasn't an audiophile !
smiley-tongue-out.gif

MaxLegroom

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
I totally agree here and was quick to undertake the services of Auralex to design the room treatment layout ; I've got about £600 worth and is mainly a LEDE ( live end dead end ) setup with a variety or corner bass traps and dampened flutter echo / reflection points ..very happy indeed with it all...

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
I used to have SCM19s. When looking for an upgrade I demoed lots of speakers but ended up going for actives. ATC make some very good ones that you might pick up 2nd hand within budget, I feel though that they (like a lot of hifi) are overpriced and you can get better for less money. If you value clarity and dynamics go demo some actives, you will be able to pick something up that is a lot better than what you have for less than your upgrade budget. Check out pro-audio active monitors too, I replaced the SCM19s (along with ATC amp) with Event Opals and they wiped the floor with them, it took about 10 seconds to realise how much better they were.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
pauln said:
CnoEvil said:
richardw42 said:
Why the **** would anybody put a 5k amp with the SCM19.

.....because, with some £2k speakers, the right £5k amp can make a dramatic difference; and the SCM19s could be the perfect speaker for a given person's room and taste.

King Lear said:
Oh, that way madness lies;

Hamlet said:
I am but mad north-north-west: when the wind is
southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw.

:twisted:

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
pauln said:
CnoEvil said:
richardw42 said:
Why the **** would anybody put a 5k amp with the SCM19.

.....because, with some £2k speakers, the right £5k amp can make a dramatic difference; and the SCM19s could be the perfect speaker for a given person's room and taste.

King Lear said:
Oh, that way madness lies;

Hamlet said:
I am but mad north-north-west: when the wind is
southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw.

:twisted:

Nice.

Anyway, I'd get some Quad electrostatics and keep the amp - it's got lots of watts.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts