So sad to see how AKG have developed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
I was specifically speaking with AKG in mind.

I think it really depends on what ambitions you have with the market. Take TVs for example, B&O and Loewe survived while Kuro ceased to exist. All of them concentrate(d) on a small sector of TV business. While Pioneer had smaller models for the mass market, it never really concentrated on them.

Of course, there won't be large manufacturers solely concentrating only on 2), as the segment itself is small! :)

Agree with all that, and Pioneer v B&O / Loewe is a good example. Pioneer tried to fudge market 2 with 1 & 3, ie premium quality product but (close to) mass market price. Whereas the others have niche quality and price product.

Companies like AKG clearly are more ambitious than that. If it concentrated only on market 2, I doubt if this latest line of headphones endorsed by a DJ would have ever come.

Yes, I'm sure that's right. Fwiw I agree with AlmaataKZ's point - I wouldn't expect anyone to have a problem with an endorsed product if its quality & price were at least as good as if it was not endorsed. But further than that, if the additional markets and income opened up by selling products with endoresements and more mass market appeal allow the company to continue producing high quality but more niche products I would be very happy. Bringing it back to the example of Pioneer, I think there would be a lot of happy people if they'd had a successful and profitable mass market business which had allowed them to continue manufacturing their premium Kuro plasmas.

idc

Murdo Mathewson said:
Dear 'idc',

AKG Pro's product line-up includes a huge selection of headphones, and with the arrival of 'AKG by TIESTO' that offering becomes even greater. Check not only the visual design, but also the spec, and you'll hopefully agree that the new 'phones compliment the existing range. (And are certainly not a repackaged, existing design.)

But, most of all, can I suggest you personally check out the new line as and when it hits the shops - and until then keep an open mind. And, if for whatever reason they aren't to your taste, follow this link for seriously large selection of alternatives: http://www.akg.com/site/powerslave,id,2,nodeid,2,pcategory,33,_language,EN.html

I really do feel that your rumermoungering of AKG's death has been greatly exaggerated!

Regards,

Murdo Mathewson
Thanks for the reply Murdo. I was not mourning the death of AKG, just the direction it has taken in terms of design. If the K1000s were re-introduced, I would be very happy. I have various AKGs and the older headphones are not worse than the newer ones, just different. Indeed my favourites are the old K280 Parabolic and the new K240 MkII. I am not worried about AKG and SQ as I know Harman International spend a lot of time and money researching SQ through Sean Olive's blogs. It is the design and celebrity endorsements that I find sad. The Q701 was the same design and driver as the K701, yet it cost more, looked worse IMO and people were reporting differences in SQ, which is suspicious to say the least!

idc

AlmaataKZ said:
Idc, I am with you on not liking when products where the main appeal is celebrity endorsement are made instead of products where competent design, pefromance and build quality are a priority. When they are in addition to, though, I do not mind - if there is a market for it, somebody will make it. Recently for example I was asked to help choosing headphones (for a late teenager) and when I started to talk about sound quality I got a disappointed reaction as the models I recommended were not perceived as 'cool' - they were hoping I would endorse their choice of 'Beats'.

Anyhow, I meant to ask for your advice since long ago -

I have been checking out the main brands for a god pair of headphones but could not find what I am after:

- very high built quality and durability - must last 20 years+ (I like things that last and tend to hang on to things...)

- very accurate, undistorted, neutral sound, high dynamic range (open-back?). I liked the sound of the top Sennh for example.

- not too heavy and very comfortable (I think I prefer around the ear fit)

- real leather pads

- which makes it mid-to-high-range models I suppose. No particular budget set - can be any price range but do not have to be expensive.

Leather pads seem to be particularly rare but I do not like the vynil ones at all. Velour are slightly better but I want to find leather ones. From your experience and knowledge, do you know any that fit these requirements?

I see what you mean about the leather pads. I don't have any and have never even tried any with such. Sorry, but you have flumoxed me!

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
I remember Sony did one or two top-rangers with leather but this was very very long ago. There are definately some now e.g. B&w with leather and others but they tend to be 'lifestyle' products while I am after a long-lasting uncompromised full-size ones.

The only one I can think of is Denon top model I think (it also has wooden cups?). Edit: I do not see this model on their site any more. Maybe it has been discontinued.

Maybe pro models?

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
AlmaataKZ said:
I have been checking out the main brands for a good pair of headphones but could not find what I am after:

- very high built quality and durability - must last 20 years+ (I like things that last and tend to hang on to things...)

- very accurate, undistorted, neutral sound, high dynamic range (open-back?). I liked the sound of the top Sennh for example.

- not too heavy and very comfortable (I think I prefer around the ear fit)

- real leather pads -- which makes it mid-to-high-range models I suppose. No particular budget set - can be any price range but do not have to be expensive. Leather pads seem to be particularly rare but I do not like the vynil ones at all. Velour are slightly better but I want to find leather ones. From your experience and knowledge, do you know any that fit these requirements?

The Philips L1 gets pretty close to this description except for the bass I think. If you could use a high quality equalizer and just trim off the bass a little the sound is quite neutral, and the physicals are there.

Or, if the new Philips X1 extends everything the L1 does, it might be an even better bet.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
AlmaataKZ said:
I remember Sony did one or two top-rangers with leather but this was very very long ago. There are definately some now e.g. B&w with leather and others but they tend to be 'lifestyle' products while I am after a long-lasting uncompromised full-size ones.

The only one I can think of is Denon top model I think (it also has wooden cups?). Edit: I do not see this model on their site any more. Maybe it has been discontinued.

Maybe pro models?
Yes the old Denon models have been discontinued, the one you are thinking of is the Denon AH-D7000. I love mine but I think I read somewhere that its not real leather. What about the Audeze LCD-2, I think that's real leather and the sound is supposed to be amazing.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
dalethorn said:
The Philips L1 gets pretty close to this description except for the bass I think. If you could use a high quality equalizer and just trim off the bass a little the sound is quite neutral, and the physicals are there.

Or, if the new Philips X1 extends everything the L1 does, it might be an even better bet.

thanks!

Looking at L1 the spec say nothing about the response being flat or sound being neutral. It says it is tuned but does not say in what way - typical meaningless marketing speak unfortunately. Also it does not say the pads are leather. It says leather is used but it may be on the headband, how do I know. The specs are amasingly undescriptive although full of superlative words. Build quality seems good from pics. Would be good to see and try for real.

X1 not listed on philips site?

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
quadpatch said:
AlmaataKZ said:

Maybe pro models?
Yes the old Denon models have been discontinued, the one you are thinking of is the Denon AH-D7000. I love mine but I think I read somewhere that its not real leather. What about the Audeze LCD-2, I think that's real leather and the sound is supposed to be amazing.

Thanks, the audeze looks great indeed, definately quality headphones. I have actually tried them at the Munich show - very comfortable, heavy. The sound was good but Sennheisers were better to my taste.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
AlmaataKZ said:
Looking at L1 the spec say nothing about the response being flat or sound being neutral. It says it is tuned but does not say in what way - typical meaningless marketing speak unfortunately. Also it does not say the pads are leather. It says leather is used but it may be on the headband, how do I know. The specs are amasingly undescriptive although full of superlative words. Build quality seems good from pics. Would be good to see and try for real. X1 not listed on philips site?

I've been using the L1 for several months with a modicum of bass reduction, with which it sits near the top of my fidelity and neutrality list, with great sound top to bottom.. Played flat that does not apply. But for the price, the simple EQ, the leather pads and headband - a fantastic bargain. And looks extremely durable, not to mention the rugged attractiveness. I expect the X1 to be a real killer, but no guarantees of course.

idc

AlmaataKZ said:
Apologies to idc for thread hijack.

I am sure AKG have never used leather pads. One brand which did, though they were notorious for perishing was B&O. I am still looking for one of these to add to my collection, the U70

u70-1bbb.jpg

A

Anonymous

Is rumermounger a word? It is now.....or am I rumourmongering? (Sorry....)

A

Anonymous

bigboss said:
1) Where style is more important than substance.

- Targeted at the majority of customers who are perfectly happy with 128 & 256 kbps mp3 songs.

Sweeping generalisations abound there then......surprised you haven't realised they never have them on, just an accessory round the neck!
smiley-smile.gif
Nothing wrong with 256 Kbps anyway.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
AKG scored big with the 550 judging by Headfonia's review and the 218 comments posted. That particular site and comment count are very telling I think, since unlike some sites that build thousands of postings about an item before the item is released or reviewed, Headfonia's is right to the point. If the fit is improved with the 551 I might buy it.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
I remember being quite peed off when the Q701’s came out.

There were prices being quoted at £499 RRP at launch for the pleasure of a sickly lime green colour with a celebrity endorsement.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
dalethorn said:
AKG scored big with the 550 judging by Headfonia's review and the 218 comments posted. That particular site and comment count are very telling I think, since unlike some sites that build thousands of postings about an item before the item is released or reviewed, Headfonia's is right to the point. If the fit is improved with the 551 I might buy it.
I bought mine based partially on Headfonia's review, but really couldn't get on with them. Looking at the effin'ringin's requency response charts for the headphone made me realise why I couldn't get on with it, horrible spikes! Someone points out how they probably seem bass-light because you wouldn't dare turn the volume up in fear of killing your hearing. That put me right off AKG!! And that's not even mentioning the horrible earcups and fitting.

daveg56

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Was at the National Audio Show at the weekend where they had a whole demo room of headphones from different manufacturers. Clearly a sign that it's a burgeoning marketplace, even in the 'high-end' area.

I personally was particularly impressed with the AKG Q701's, extremely good value for money I thought and they sounded fabulous, a big improvement on my last set of headphones, AKG K140's. I also demo'ed some of the top of the line Sennheiser's, also very good but they are significantly more expensive.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts