Smelly old amplifier...!

harrisonaard1

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I'm really not sure if this is a common problem or not. I have an old Pioneer amp, or fairly ok quality in sound and 'oomph', which always smells - or should I say stinks the room and to a lesser degree the house out. It is a PCB type of smell, but it is present whether it is being used or not, (switched on) which simply lends itself to the transformer. I cant think what exactly it is that smells and why OR how to get rid of it. The options I have thought of includes washing with spirit and maybe painting it with resin afterwards (obviously after removing it from the amp first) or the obvious but very unfair method, which is to take it to the dump and walk away. Does anyone else have any experience of this and even more importantly, how to get rid of the smell... :boohoo:

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Well.....that's a new one.

What amp is it and has it always smelt or just started ?

Sometimes they can smell a bit when they get full of dust etc especially if they've been stored for a while. Taking the top off and blowing them out with an air duster usually resolves the problem, it takes a couple of days to wear off though.

Sospri

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
With all the wet weather we have had recently, could be condesation with resulting arcing which is causing the smell.

Just a thought.................

GCE

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
If is the transformer varnish, perhaps is better to switch off entirely the amp when not in use,

because in stby mode the primary coil is always under tension (240 V) and warm ;

if a capacitor : recap!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts