smart tvs and mkv files

celsius

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
hi all

do any of the current models of smart tv's with dlna playback mkv files?

i am looking at getting a new tv max size 37 inch as mine has a few problems currently using an old pc with xbmc but wife says it has to go(doesn't fit in ) all my bds and dvds stored in mkv format and have no desire to convert them all.would prefer to have just one box to do it all budget approx £700

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
I can't name a single tv that supports MKV...both my Sony 46HX853 and Samsung UE32C4000PW (bedroom tv) don't support MKV and is the reason I bought one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Streaming-Media-Player/dp/B005NYOKC2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358269346&sr=8-1

It's such a small box that it's easily hidden and allows me to watch all my HD MKV files with no issues, I simply couldn't find a one box solution and that little WD box has been the ideal solution as it's so tiny. I think you will really struggle finding a tv that supports MKV over DLNA or even USB.

Paul.

Samsungs from 2012 will play MKV files, you can even install plex and stream from a PC or Nas. As Daveh75 mentions though, MKV is a bag of hurt. It is a container format with over 200 different codecs inside, so inevitably you will find combinations of codecs that don't work with your TV.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Paul. said:
Oldboy said:
Paul. said:
Panasonic ST/GT plays MKV too off the top of my head, but can't think of any more.

My GT30 never played MKV files so I presume the GT50 will?

Correct, sorry I thought I had put a 50 on there but apparently not!

Thanks for the info Paul, it's good to know that MKV is actually getting supported by tvs now. I had no idea about the complexities of the format either but then it's not my field of expertise and is beyond my knowledge. Is MKV actually better avoided then even if it means converting?

Paul.

If I was ripping something, I would tend to avoid MKV just becuse not everything plays it. Most people who rip something in MKV will rip with a sensible codec, but you may occaisionaly find open source types ripping the audio in Vorbis for instance (which many tvs cant handle even with MKV support). MKVs with video in Mpeg or h.264 and audio in AAC or MP3 for instance will be fine.

A

Anonymous

Morning!

I have a Panasonic (TX-L37DT30B) and it streams MKVs pretty well from a Synology DS212j. It occassionaly stutters a little but not often (and does the same with MP4s).

From my experience, you'd still be better getting a dedicated media player as smart TV's can be pretty slow at loading file lists etc. when searching for a movie within a large collection. Having said that, I haven't tried the plex app that's available on some LGs and Samsungs, so that might help.

Paul.

lokusai said:
From my experience, you'd still be better getting a dedicated media player as smart TV's can be pretty slow at loading file lists etc. when searching for a movie within a large collection. Having said that, I haven't tried the plex app that's available on some LGs and Samsungs, so that might help.

Yep, agree with that. Plex is fine on the Dual Core tvs but can be sluggish on lower spec tvs.

A

Anonymous

I've just bought a Panasonic 50" UT50 http://tda.panasonic-europe-service.com/docs/2z51014126z3z33ea7z656ez706466z23zdb136fd6802f32c4ea87ed7a7a136728e1e5f9e4/tsn2/data/EU/TXP42UT50B/OI/873755/TQB0E2194.pdf from John Lewis which has no problems playing mkv files either streemed from my PC (XBMC) via ethernet or from a USB Stick. In fact it has so far played pretty much any format I've tried. The link above will give you the full list of supported formats & it is quite impresive. It's a great TV, granted it is bigger than you specified but well within your budget @ £599 with a pair of free active 3D glasses (worth £100) if bought before the end of this month.

IDontBelieveIT

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
TV's generally only support FAT File format for USB and that wont take a +4GB file

Some LG TV's play MKV's but as codec's are updated, then the TV needs an update too.

Best option is an intel NUC PC under your TV with a remote and KODI installed as a media system, then you can copy over the network to it and play or stream to it depending on bandwidth.

New Canyon trail i7 NUC has a full size HDMI 2 port supporting 4K at 60

You can achieve the same with an XBox or Playstation but they don't like all MKV's all the time. and dont support 4K at 60

you can also install Intel Remote Keyboard to your NUC and control it from your Mobile or tablet.

Rather than messing about getting your main PC to the TV, put a dedicated PC into your reciever.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts