Small room, big speakers.

Will

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
I've temporarily moved the hi fi into a very small room - 3.5 meters x 2.5 meters. It'll be there for some months (CM10 speakers, Linn amps). It's no surprise that the bass is boomy nomatter what I've tried to do.
Would there be a low cost solution to the bass problem? What are foam bass traps like, any good? If so, which ones?

rjbell

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
Will said:
I've temporarily moved the hi fi into a very small room - 3.5 meters x 2.5 meters. It'll be there for some months (CM10 speakers, Linn amps). It's no surprise that the bass is boomy nomatter what I've tried to do.Would there be a low cost solution to the bass problem?  What are foam bass traps like, any good? If so, which ones? 
Have you tried a sock in the ports?

Obviously a Linn has no tone controls, and they are big speakers with prodigious bass output. But you could buy a cheap graphic equaliser, or an amp with tone controls to use pro tem or insert if you have a spare output/input or tape loop.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
A pair of good, cheap bookshelf speakers from ebay for a year. Then flog 'em for what you originally paid after you've finished.

This. Or use it as an excuse to spend some money on a decent headphone rig (I'm assuming Linn doesn't give you a headphone output on the amp either).

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
If you have a second amp, you can split the signal to both amps and this will give you option for attenuation of the lower frequency drivers separately.

I guess an L-Pad in Bi-Wiring configuration would do the job as well, but I like Bi-Amping much better.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
If you want to continue using your big speakers and can give them a little space, the DSpeakers Antimode Dualcore is probably the most effective way of controlling the bass.

Not cheap at nearly £700 but will probably get the job done and will always be useful, giving you extra control, even in a bigger room.

However if placement is a real problem in the smaller room, good small speakers such as the Zensor 1 or, at higher cost, the Neat Iota.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
How are the speakers split - they're biwireble....yes?

If the top/mid are coupled remove the links - in other words disconnect the woofer.

Just run the mids and tops.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts