Small office / computer desk set-ups

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

abacus

AS I mentioned in my previous posts have a look at pro monitors, as there are a boatload designed for the type of usage you want, with most having controls on-board to adapt them better to your environment.
An audio interface will also be more flexible than a simple DAC making it even easier to get your perfect sound.
Hi Fi versions are good but you have to adapt your listening area to them, whereas with pro equipment you can adapt the speakers to your own environment.

Bill

gasolin

In the video you can see on the phone theres alot of adjustments possible to get them to sound best,to match them with the room and how you like music to sound (theres even a Bass Extension settings).

You should give them a try in you own home and try alot of different settings and some foam,feet, floorstands,isoacoustic stand thar are not being used in the video

Last edited:

Bumrah

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
What's everyone out-there using for their small office or computer desk listening?

I work from home and find myself sat at my office desk for most of my time. I'm currently using a set of B&W MM-1s hooked up to my iMac but feel I'm missing the 'proper' Hi-Fi experience. Any suggestions?
Have you considered the new SONOS Amp and some passive speakers. Amp isn’t massive and has everything you need for streaming etc. Plenty of power for any desktop speakers of which there are plenty to chose from. Amp is currently £499 and if you buy direct from Sonos you get free returns for 100 days if you don’t like it. I’ve got one powering my PSB Imagine Minis and it’s great. Put it this way I’m not missing my Cyrus 8vs 2 which it replaced. Just a thought.

The Darker Wave

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
Cheers for the advice guys.

I think I'm moving away from the idea of active speakers. I've room for a combined Amp/DAC but the passive speakers will have to be pretty small and on stands either side of my desk.

The Denon PMA-60 will also allow me to play 24bit files in all their glory over USB, which even the KEF LSX can't do. I just need to find the right speakers.

chris661

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
The Denon PMA-60 looks like a nice little box. However, I'd still lean towards active speakers, preferably studio monitors. Have a look at the Behringer K5 as an example - you get a bi-amped system (getting rid of passive crossovers is a big plus in my book), with loads of options to set the speakers up for near-wall/corner placement, HF balance, and you can adjust the low bass level if your room has a peak down there (hint: most do).

That sort of flexibility is something that traditional HiFi gear (amp & passive speakers) can't touch. If the HiFi gear doesn't sound good where you put it, you're pretty much stuck unless you fancy opening up the speakers and modifying the crossover.

Add in a USB audio interface (the Behringer UMC202HD gets decent reviews and I like mine, but others are available), and you're all set. Pretty much all of them will run at 192kHz/24-bit.

Chris

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Audioengine A2 if you are on a budget are very very good for what you'd pay for a night out!! 2 x Sonos Play1's also v good for the money. Nad D3020, Bluesound Powernode or Sonos Amp with a small pair of Dali/MA/Q Acoustics/Kefs would be my choice for amp/speakers that aren't silly money and compact. Kef LS50 wireless if budget stretches.
Makes me wish I had an office..........

The Darker Wave

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys.

Thanks again for all your advice. It really is appreciated.

I've decided against getting some studio monitors. My rationale being that studio monitors are typically voiced so that recording engineers can hear flaws in recordings and mixes, rather than being configured to flatter the source. To my mind this could have the effect of making only well recorded tracks being palatable. Though it's an interesting suggestion.

I've decided to buy the Quad Vena II amp. I've managed to have a listen to it and it's got a nice warm sound that reminds me of my vintage Arcam gear and it's very 'musical'. It got my foot tapping, which is a good sign. Either way it works for me.

I'm going to pair it with a some Dali Menuets. I was blown away just how great these speakers sound from such a small box (though on reflection they're not that much smaller than my PMC DB1i's). Incredibly fast and detailed. Plus I've managed to pick up a user pair for half their usual £900 retail price. Which was a bit out of my budget.

I also had a listen to the much applauded KEF LS50s. I know everyone loves them but I didn't like them at all. The same elements that annoyed me with the LSXs are present in these speakers too. Mainly the integration of bass and mid range, specifically the bass overpowering the midrange. Though curiously a friend of mine has a pair of KEF Q150s and I think they sound great. Although they share the same dual concentric driver design they have very different crossovers. Which explains a lot IMO.

Anyway... I just wanted to thank everyone for their thoughts and to let you know what I decided in the end.

Reactions: Timbot

insider9

No, definitely not the only one 😂

My understanding is they are very difficult to setup as many people who have great ears and opinion I highly value, like them. So it is perhaps that both our demos were just poor. Regardless, they can't be that good that I'd go through all the fuss.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
No, definitely not the only one 😂

My understanding is they are very difficult to setup as many people who have great ears and opinion I highly value, like them. So it is perhaps that both our demos were just poor. Regardless, they can't be that good that I'd go through all the fuss.

I was underwhelmed (good but not amazing) by my LS50's until I put them in a smaller room with a heavy duty amp and then i realised just how amazing they are and that the hype had basis

Reactions: insider9

scene

Well done, sounds like you're going to have an excellent setup. Look forward to hearing about it.

And as others have said, well done for going out and demoing different options 👍 - no substitute for choosing what you want, and sounds like you got the speakers for a steal :)

Reactions: knaithrover

The Darker Wave

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
I was underwhelmed (good but not amazing) by my LS50's until I put them in a smaller room with a heavy duty amp and then i realised just how amazing they are and that the hype had basis

I'm sure they're great speakers for the right listener / type of music. They just don't fit my tastes (I'm not a massive fan of too much bass). Admitedly I only listened to them with the Cambridge CXA61 (60W) and the Quad Vena II (45W) rather than the 150W that your Vincent SV236 puts out.

Well done, sounds like you're going to have an excellent setup. Look forward to hearing about it.

And as others have said, well done for going out and demoing different options 👍 - no substitute for choosing what you want, and sounds like you got the speakers for a steal :)

Cheers Scene. I'm sure I'll be happy with this set up. 24bit files have been a revelation. :)

Last edited:

Dom

Good thread! Thanks for suggesting smaller office tables. I have only a large one in my room, but I would install another one in the living room. A large working table would not look appropriate there, and that’s why I am looking for a more compact one that would not take up too much space.
Good thread it maybe, and I appreciate your involvement, start a new thread for questions.

Good thread! Thanks for suggesting smaller office tables. I have only a large one in my room, but I would install another one in the living room. A large working table would not look appropriate there, and that’s why I am looking for a more compact one that would not take up too much space.
This thread is a tad old to be digging up again....
Perhaps start a n ew one?

Reactions: Dom

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts