Small floor standing speakers

charlesrichardson

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I need advice on what speakers there are, if any, that fit my criteria of being no more than 73mm (29inches) high. I intend to build up a second system, perhaps Marnantz or Arcam based, and intend to buy pre used. Height is the main criteria and I don't really know what may suit.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
That's a tough one: 730mm is very small. My first thought was the Neat Motive range, but these are 760mm. You might be able to pick up a pair of second-hand Royd Minstrels (643mm).

Your best bet might be to get standmounts and shortish stands. (N.b. you would want to tilt the speakers back a bit on their stands to direct the output up towards you ears.)

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Maybe older style speakers like the Klipsch Heresy III. Only 60.5 CM high.

Heresy-III-Right-Walnut.jpg

http://www.klipsch.com/products/heresy-iii-floorstanding-speaker

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
how about some 40cm high target audio stands ( now and then on ebay, around £20) + up to 30cm bookshelf speaker + some 3M dual lock fastener to secure the speakers to the stands and tilt front a bit so tweeter is projecting high frequencies nicely?

( I wish I could add a photo to demnonstrate but I guess the above description is self explanatory)

charlesrichardson said:
I need advice on what speakers there are, if any, that fit my criteria of being no more than 73mm (29inches) high. I intend to build up a second system, perhaps Marnantz or Arcam based, and intend to buy pre used. Height is the main criteria and I don't really know what may suit.

Is there any particular reason for height issues? Are they going underneath a shelf or something else?

charlesrichardson

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I need no more than 73mm because the top of the speaker cannot be higher than the sill of the window frame behind it. Currently I use a pair of Gale 3010S speakers on stands that are about this height and which I want to improve on. Why I am looking at floorstanders is that if I was to go with stand mounted speakers any stand could not be more than say a maximum of 40mm high, I have seen nothing to suit.

I have seen on the "auction site" a pair of Royd Minstrels that meet the height criteria but seem quite old and is a speaker I know nothing about or what to look for that might prove costly to fix.

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I thought Kudos X2, which are tiny, might suit, but checking them out I find they are 780mm tall. Hmm.

If you can find a pair in good nick, Ruark's Templar loudspeakers were lovely and come in at a mere 700mm, with a backward sloping front baffle to angle the sound upwards to the listening position.

Failing that, standmounts may be the only way to go. Martin Logan make some very nice folded tweeter-eqipped standmounts (the Motion 15 and Motion 35XT) with sloping tops and I have heard they can be placed upside down meaning they are then angled upwards, again towards the listening position. Would work well, I think, in a Marantz /Arcam system.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
If you can be a little more flexible and place the speakers out from under the window the Spendor A5 and the Mission 782's are only 80cm tall on their spikes.

Good speakers too.

If not, as you were.

TRENDING THREADS