Small floor-standing speakers

Ami

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I'm looking for small floor standing speakers to fit a a 5m X 3m living room. I would like to locate them ~ 20 cm from walls.

My amp is Arcam A85 and I use ~ 50% FLAC files and 50% vinyl. I like speakers with non boomy tight bass , good soundstage, non-harsh smooth trebles and transparent/natural.

My kind of music is mainly Pop, Jazz and Blues.

I thought about the following options:

Neat SX2 – hard to arrange a demo for them.

Epos K2 – seems a good option, already audit them but not sure the bass is tight enough.

Spendor A5R – Already audit them, sounds good, but didn’t try with my amp. Do they worth the high price and will they fit my needs?

Monitor Audio Silver 6 – Cheaper than the others but maybe fit my needs?

B&W CM8 or 684 S2 – is the bass tight enough and is the treble harsh?

Please share your recommendations and experience with these speakers.

Thanks!

Ami

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
As I mentioned on AVF, you can only assess the tonal balance of a speaker by arranging a personal audition, as you'll find plenty of people with differing opinions and descriptions about whether a speaker is bright/harsh/smooth etc.

matthewpiano

As David says, auditioning in person is the only way to make sure you get the right speakers. Preferably, once you have made a choice through in-store audition, you should also seek to try them in your own room at home.

I haven't heard the new Rega RX range, but the previous RS series speakers are very natural and open. It might be worth hearing some RX-3s to see how much of that character they have retained.

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Ami said:
Hi,

I'm looking for small floor standing speakers to fit a a 5m X 3m living room. I would like to locate them ~ 20 cm from walls.

My amp is Arcam A85 and I use ~ 50% FLAC files and 50% vinyl. I like speakers with non boomy tight bass , good soundstage, non-harsh smooth trebles and transparent/natural.

Epos K2 – seems a good option, already audit them but not sure the bass is tight enough.

Spendor A5R – Already audit them, sounds good, but didn’t try with my amp. Do they worth the high price and will they fit my needs?

Thanks!

Ami

I have a small room, auditioned the Epos K2 and could not position them to get everything right. Flabby bass tended to dominate and whatever else was going on was pretty much drowned out. I ended up with Dynaudio Excite X12s, used the foam port bungs, and backed them right up against the wall. Sounded great, once I got my head around the fact that this went against my previous experiences of speaker placement.

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
In terms of your list and your desire for transparent trebles, I'd try the Monitor Audio Gold 200s as well as the Silvers. The Golds are no more expensive than some of the other speakers you've mentioned but (in my opinion) have a much nicer tweeter than the Silvers.

Ami said:
Hi,

Thanks!

Ami

Totem Arros; Dali Ikon 6 MKII; Focal Aria range; Monitor Audio Bronze 5.

As the others have suggested, a dem is essential.

james_LR90

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
If you don't mind looking at something a bit older on the second hand market then a pair of Royd Minstrels should definitely be on your list. A fantastically musical and enjoyable little floorstander.

Ami

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I took my Arcam A85 amp and some music I know well on USB (flac) and demoed some speakers that are available in my region.

I must say the demos were in a far from optimal listening environment and I’m sure it affects my impression but in general I believe I got the sense of each speaker.

Music:

Norah Jones – Sinking Soon

Sting – Mad about you

Bob Dylan – Hurricane

Nirvana – Come as you are

John Lee Hooker – Boom Boom

Ella and Louis – Let’s call the whole thing off

Speakers:

1. B&W 684 S2 – The tweeter was not harsh as I thought it will be but rather soft, bass was controlled, but I didn’t like them, not detailed and transparent enough.

2. Monitor Audio Silver 6 – More excited than the B&W, more bass, good sound stage but still not detailed enough and the mid were not their strongest suite. Louis’s bass voice was well heard.

3. Tannoy Revolution XT6F – more detailed and transparent than the B&W and MA, but missing some bass and roundness. Maybe in a more optimal listening area I would like them more.

4. Spendor A5R – Very detailed and transparent, great soundstage, great mids. Bob Dylan sounded great, Nirvana sound great, guitars sound very well. Missing some bass and authority when listened to Louis. The high frequencies were too harsh. Not sure, but maybe the Arcam combination is not that good.

5. Epos K2 – detailed, good soundstage, really liked it with most of the songs. Bob Dylan and Nirvana were ok but not as good as the Spendors. A more soft and round speaker than the Spendors but a great all-rounder. The bass is not very tight and well controlled as I like. The Arcam powered it very well.

I really wanted to demo the Neat motive SX2 but could not find them in my region.

My dilemma was between Sepndor and Epos, in one hand the Spendor are very musical and transparent as I like, but the harshness was too much for me. I chose the Epos, a more forgiven speaker and also much cheaper. I hope I can control the bass with positioning and the right cables.

Thank you all for your advises and recommendations.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts