Small 2.1 amp setup as alternative to PC speakers?

maskatuoklis

Oct 2, 2020
Visit site
Problem in short - I have a small room (~9 square meters) that needs good audio. Currently there's crammed Denon AVR-1707 + Magnat Altea 3 (bookshelf speakers) + Magnat Betasub 20A (sound source - PC via SPDIF) and I'm badly spoiled with good sound. Naturally, current setup takes way too much space and is suited for larger rooms, so I'm searching for a (this is crucial) more compact solution for... I don't know, less than 600$/€?

Starting with an amp - first thought those Chinese micro amps (SMSL, Fosi audio & similar), but it seems it's a hit and miss situation with them, when reading user reviews and pro reviews are scarce. I've thought about mini stereo systems, but a lot of them don't have sub input. Yamaha WXA-50 is very close to what I need, but the price is way higher than I'd like. Teac AI-101DA is also somewhat close to what I need, but haven't found reliable reviews yet. Commonly sized amps are out ot the question, since it's an office desk and I need as much free space as possible.

Spekers and sub - depends on the amp probably. For the time being I'll probably use existing Betasub 20A until a decent replacement is found and speakers - probably somewhere in the lines of Mission LX-2 (a tad too large), Wharfedale Diamond 320 or even Monitor Audio Monitor 50. Small note - I'm searching for white speakers if possible.

Steve150

Sep 29, 2020
Visit site
Hi, For the amp you could look at the Rega brio, they also have some nice speakers that are quite small, you should look at there cd players also, I have the Brio paired with floor standing Rega speakers and the sound is great

maskatuoklis

Oct 2, 2020
Visit site
Hi, For the amp you could look at the Rega brio, they also have some nice speakers that are quite small, you should look at there cd players also, I have the Brio paired with floor standing Rega speakers and the sound is great

Thank you. Sadly, it's over my budget, since Rega bio costs as much as I want to spend for the whole system. By the way, Rega doesn't have digital input and that would be quite a minus, since the source is digital.

jjbomber

The only one I know of is the Micromega MyAMP, but that's your budget gone! Available in white! You can use your existing speakers until you save up some more.

I'm not sure if you need a sub in a room that size, but it's all about personal taste and it's up to you.

maskatuoklis

Oct 2, 2020
Visit site
Check on ebay as md-sound_de are selling them for 190 Euros brand new. Not sure where you live as you quoted Euros and $, but I'm sure they can post them worldwide.

I live in Europe, so yeah, this is a great suggestion. Never heard about Micromega, so it's hard to decide from one review, but it's a nice option to research. I wonder how it would compare to my mentioned Teac AI-101DA... Nevertheless, thank you!

jjbomber

I live in Europe, so yeah, this is a great suggestion. Never heard about Micromega, so it's hard to decide from one review, but it's a nice option to research. I wonder how it would compare to my mentioned Teac AI-101DA... Nevertheless, thank you!
Remember that the reviews are based on the amp being £480. As you would be paying less than half of that, it will be worth a few more stars. If something is 4 star at £480, it is 6 star at £170.

maskatuoklis

Oct 2, 2020
Visit site
Remember that the reviews are based on the amp being £480. As you would be paying less than half of that, it will be worth a few more stars. If something is 4 star at £480, it is 6 star at £170.

Interesing... maybe. I've just found out about Edifier S530D, kinda suits my needs, but it's hard to go back to computer speakers...

Barbapapa

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site
For speakers you could look at the Dali Zensor series, the smallest ones are cheap and they are available in white. They're nice. Also, the smallest Q Acoustics are reviewed well and are cheap.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts