Slow NAS ?

BillDay66

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Hi

Have just bought a WD MyBook World II 2 TB Raid Nas and am in the process of transferring 120GB of music onto it. I have a wired network and have plugged the laptop (where the files sit at the moment) into the router. It seems painfully slow though, looks like its going to take 24 hours, is this normal?

I am transferring the music by this method , itunes - change library location to NAS - consolidate library.

...And assuming that is normal for this NAS, does anyone foresee any problems streaming music to a sonos and films to a ps3 (again via the wired network)?

Thanks for any advice in advance,

Bill

A

Anonymous

The WD has very slow write speeds, particularly with lots of file transfers and the way Itunes moves the library will not help.

The good thing is that u only have to transfer data to a NAS the once, and once there it will play things just fine.

BillDay66

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, is this normal for most 'cheap' NAS.

I did try connecting a usb drive directly to the WD but doesnt seem to be any quicker?

A

Anonymous

yes its slow - particularly if u have it raided.

A lot of the cheaper NAS's are underpowered and low on memory.This shows up most when u copy large amounts of data.

IIR my mother's WDBookworld gives a write transfer rate of around 5-6MB/s (raid1).

Check out this link for relative speeds

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/component/option,com_nas/Itemid,190

brendonw

May 24, 2010
Visit site
and don't forget USB2 is well past its sell by date when copying large amounts of data.

Took a day to backup my NAS to my external USB2 drive.

BillDay66

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
OK thanks for the replies, its not just me then - I suppose as I have got it set up in Raid 1, its actually doing a bit more than just copying the files once.

brendonw

May 24, 2010
Visit site
yes it is, but depending on how good your NAS is will affect how fast it all is to a degree.

I think short term loss, long term gain personally. These things take a while to setup and get right and IMHO there is no point in rushing it.

pba_target

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Count yourself lucky you're only copying that little;)! I recently stepped up a 2tb to a 4tb NAS, I think copying everything across (wired ethernet) took around 5 days!

TRENDING THREADS