Hi, I use a Technics SL1210 turntable, and have just installed a Ortofon 2m Red. I have made sure the overhang is correct and its fine. I then went about balancing the tone arm so I could then adjust the weight.

I balanced my old cartrdige and stylus absolutely fine, but the new one is casuing me issues. In order to get the arm to "float" i have to move the counter weight pretty much all the way to the front. When I then set weight to "0", it only allows me to add around 1.5g to it, the reccomended is 1.8 but I cannot actually turn it anymore because it is at the very and is basically at the heaviest tracking weight possible.

Could it be the counter weight is wrong light and I need to buy a different one? Apologies in advance for a probably vauge description, but i can supply pictures if needed.

Any help is appreciated, thanks

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
your cartridge is on the light side. The only thing I can think of is to add weight to it. I've never had to do it myself, and wouldn't like to advise on the best way to do it, but I'm pretty sure it can be done.

Freddy58 said:
your cartridge is on the light side. The only thing I can think of is to add weight to it. I've never had to do it myself, and wouldn't like to advise on the best way to do it, but I'm pretty sure it can be done.

this is what im thinking :( ive heard of people using the cartridge with this TT though so I have no idea whats gone on. Thanks though

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm very new to vinyl so take this advice with a large pinch of salt. :)

I think you could use one of THESE to set the weight properly. Hopefully someone else will be able to confirm if that is correct.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
I'm very new to vinyl so take this advice with a large pinch of salt. :)

I think you could use one of THESE to set the weight properly. Hopefully someone else will be able to confirm if that is correct.

Hiya Steve. I think you've misunderstood, what he's saying is that he's run out of adjustment
thumbs_up.gif

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
. said:
Freddy58 said:
ive heard of people using the cartridge with this TT though so I have no idea whats gone on. Thanks though

It does seem a bit odd. It might be worth re-checking things, to make sure there isn't something going on?

done a check and nothing stood out. Only thing i can think is when i took the old stanton of, there was a little metal plate between the headshell and cartridge, have a feeling this could be a little weight?

Edit: can confirm from a quick google it is a headshell weight, 3g's, gonna give this a fit i think and should sort the problem

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
. said:
done a check and nothing stood out. Only thing i can think is when i took the old stanton of, there was a little metal plate between the headshell and cartridge, have a feeling this could be a little weight?

Edit: can confirm from a quick google it is a headshell weight, 3g's, gonna give this a fit i think and should sort the problem

Ahh, sounds promising
thumbs_up.gif

. said:
DougK said:
. said:
thanks for the support lol. Just weird that I had to have an extra weight on

Did the spacer happen to be something like this:

http://www.juno.co.uk/products/technics-headshell-weight/227422-01/

that is exactly it! any thoughts?

Some lightweight cartridges like the Stanton (5.5g) required the extra weight. I am amazed that you ran out of adjustment as the Ortofon is also lightweight (7.2g).

I would suggest you get a set of scales to accurately measure the tracking weight being applied, as it sounds odd.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts