sky+ upscaling through onkyo 606

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,could someone tell me how do i connect my sky+ box up to my 606 amp and to my hdtv,so i get the upscaling benifits of my amp,also what cables i will need,thanks.

A

Anonymous

Connect an s-video lead fro the back of your sky+ box to one of the s-video connections on the back of the 606. Make sure you have got the 606 set to upscale (i think 1080i is the limit on the 606) & upconvert to hdmi. Then connect the HDMI out to your HD TV. for audio take the optical out from the Sky+ to the corresponding optical input & make sure you assign it to the s-video connection you have just used.

If your version of the sky+ box does not have an s-video connection, you will have to buy a scart lead that has an scart at one end and a s-video and right/left RCA on the other.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I wouldn't spend too much money on such a cable - by going from the RGB Scart connection to the S-Video connection, you're going to a worse signal type and will lose picture quality, negating the positive aspects of any upscaling. I've tried it on my Onkyo 905 with my Freeview PVR and the picture from the RGB Scart connection was still better than the upscaled S-Video connection.
My advice - stick with a decent RGB Scart connection direct to the TV.

A

Anonymous

thanks guys,PROFESSORHAT are you saying that i can still get the upscaling through a good scart lead.

A

Anonymous

Can you not get the upscale by conneecting a HDMI from the sky box to the amp, then another HDMI to the TV??

Would that increase the quality of some of the Sky SD programs??

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Michael, this is Sky+, not SkyHD so no HDMI output on the box.
Simon - your TV will be upscaling the picture from the Sky+ box when it receives the RGB Scart signal. So it would be a question of whether the TV's upscaler was so poor, that by dropping down in quality to the S-Video connection and using the Onkyo to upscale instead, you would get a better picture. I can't say for sure as I don't know what TV you have, but the scaler in the Onkyo 606 is nothing special, so I would think you're better off as you are.
EDIT - sorry, just realised I read the wrong person's sig and read you had a Sony TV when actually it doesn't mention it! Which TV do you have?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts