Sky TV and Onkyo NR709

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Guys

Please help. I am trying to get the best possible sound from my sky tv box. I have and Onkyo amp NR-709 and the B&W package 685/686 speakers.

Can anyone please help me as to how I should go about getting the best sound. I have connected up with HDMI and sky is set to Dolby D. However when I play a DVD the sound is a lot better.

How can I reproduce the sound from Dvds for SKY TV

Also any recommendations on what setting I should have for the sub which is asw 608 or 610. The cheaper one.

Thanks

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Sky doesn't carry anything but Stereo via HDMI, so you'd need to connect the Sky box to the amp via optical cable, this will allow you to get proper Dolby Digital from Sky *when it is transmitted, not every channel or programme has a DD soundtrack*.

You'll also need to configure the amp to take the audio from the optical connection and not the HDMI once you've done that but I don't know how you do that on that particular amp.

A

Anonymous

Cheers mate.

It 's a real pain that I spend all this money and that sky do not produce Dolby Digital. Is there anything you can get that can turn the sound into dolby digital.

sonycentre

May 30, 2009
Visit site
Only by using optical or coax(single phono to phone) will give you dolby digital 5.1 on selected sky channels.its mainly for sky movies,sports,and sky 1.you can see if its in dolby 5.1 by pressing the info button on your sky remote to see if it displays DD(dolby digital). :)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
breffni said:
It 's a real pain that I spend all this money and that sky do not produce Dolby Digital. Is there anything you can get that can turn the sound into dolby digital.

Sky DOES output Dolby Digital, just not through the HDMI port, which is why you need to use an optical connection.

But if the broadcaster hasn't included a DD soundtrack there's nothing you can do about that.

daveh75

You could use the Dolby PLII setting on the receiver to create pseudo surround from the 2ch audio (for broadcasts/channels that don't have DD 5.1) on Sky. But it isn't really comparable to proper DD 5.1 audio

A

Anonymous

HI, If the AMP hasnt changed please remember to go into the Input/Output Assign from the SET UP button. Then digital input, then where you see ---- next to where Sky goes in move it so it says what you have used as the audio connection. PLEASE REMEMBER TO HOLD THE ENTER BUTTON WHEN YOU HAVE CHOSEN YOUR DIGITAL INPUT AND THE * SYMBOL SHOULD APPEAR. IF NOT HIGHLIGHTED THEN HDMI WILL ONLY BE USED EVEN IF YOU HAVE CHOSEN THEM. OF course this is if they havent changed it. You may find helpful too this link, hope it helps. :>)

Examples

IF USING OPTICAL CABLE> CABLE/SAT ---- change to CABLE/SAT OPT*

IF USING COAX CABLE> CABLE/SAT ---- change to CABLE/SAT COAX*

PANASONIC FULL HD TV/ ONKYO TXNR-807/Panasonic DMP-BDT110/ SKY HD/ PS3/ PC i7 Overclocked Saphire HD5850 x2/ XBOX ELITE/ WII/ FOXSAT HDR/ X6 HDMI CHORD SUPERSHIELD 1.4V/ CHORD SILVER SCREEN SPEAKER CABLE/ X2 TCI OPTICAL/ WII COMP CABLE/ JAMMO STUDIO 170 FLOOR STANDERS/ GALE 30 SERIES CENTRE/ GALE 30 SERIES DIPOLE REARS/ WHARFEDALE SW150 SUB/ CHORD CRIMSON PLUS SUB CABLE

doctorrock

Jun 26, 2008
Visit site
I've just upgraded to this amp and sky+ hd - with this amp it is slightly different to the last post but basically the same procedure – I guess mainly because it might be a newer amp.

As above go into the Set up menu and press 1 to go to ‘input / output assign’

Press 1 and drop down to CBL/SAT and assign the relevant digital cable input on your amp – for the CBL / SAT input the default setting is Coaxial 3, but if using optical cable from your sky box assign it accordingly to optical 1 or optical 2, depending on which input you’ve used. (P.46 in the manual)

You then have to go to the start of the main setup menu – then press 4 to go to ‘source setup’ and then press 6 to go to ‘audio selector’ and then ensure it states ‘optical’ or ‘coaxial’ depending on your original choice. If it states HDMI you will get 2.0 sound. (P.55 in the manual)

This of course will only work if you’ve set your sky box as previously mentioned on other posts to ensure the audio comes out via the digital connection and not hdmi and that it’s set to ‘DOLBY D’ on the sound settings on your menu.

To check it is working properly, during a sky programme that is in Dolby Digital (shown as ‘DD’ on the ‘i’ button on sky), press the display button in the top right of the amp remote control and it should show the input as 5.1 Dolby Digital.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts