Sky Q....Utter rubbish

Tim_Lennox

Jul 22, 2016
Visit site
So I've had Sky Q since launch in February and I'm already on my 4th Sky Q Silver box. Basically it's junk, why this site continues to sing it's praises is beyond me. Constant audio drop outs on all recordings and live TV, crashes almost daily. Picturer quality is poor (and I'm viewing it on an LG OLED55E6V professionaly calibrated), firmware updates render it unusable, infact after a firmware update yesterday has made my 4th box useless and now can't even get a picture. Engineer coming next week with my 5th box. Time to leave Sky after 21 years me thinks.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Tim_Lennox said:
Time to leave Sky after 21 years me thinks.

Your experience is Virgin on the ridiculous! ;-)

Tim_Lennox said:
why this site continues to sing it's praises is beyond me.

It's not just this site: all the techmonkeys seem to be smitten with it. Maybe there are a lot of free Sky accounts floating around.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Tim_Lennox said:
So I've had Sky Q since launch in February and I'm already on my 4th Sky Q Silver box. Basically it's junk, why this site continues to sing it's praises is beyond me. Constant audio drop outs on all recordings and live TV, crashes almost daily. Picturer quality is poor (and I'm viewing it on an LG OLED55E6V professionaly calibrated), firmware updates render it unusable, infact after a firmware update yesterday has made my 4th box useless and now can't even get a picture. Engineer coming next week with my 5th box. Time to leave Sky after 21 years me thinks.
I am beginning to question expert reviews form long ago. Most products these days are just expensive & nothing else. Its a matter of we dn't care as far as we take your money. Tech is suppose to make things easer but its the total opposite. I know a lot of people would say how wonderful things are & we never had it better. *nea* Companies most of the time just interested in our money. No one can question if a product is working properly or not. They never even admit when there is a problem. I feel like this when I can't fight back..... *dash1*

All you can say to them right after the nxt xchange, is product not fit for purpose.

daveh75

Why anyone's bought into Sky Q is beyond me.

It's a product full of features that have been around for years being spun as something new and innovative (UHD Excepted, to an extent) that they've got the audacity to charge a premium for. It's an attempt to squeeze the last bit of profit as possible out of subscribers whilst they still can, since they're living on borrowed time as linear subscription 'satcaster'.

The new Now TV box/combo is more innovative frankly, and even that's just an emasculated, crippled Roku 4 with a terrestrial tuner *boredom*

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I gave up my sky sub some months ago. You can buy a sub to Now tv, Amazon, Netflix and purchase the odd box set form iTunes and still save money.

I purchase a months sub to Now TV Movies every few months to catch up on films.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
You only have to look at the picture quality of most stuff on Netflix now to know sky & virgin are living on borrowed time, with their badly compressed videos. Once my virgin contract finishes this october thats me done with the bloody money grabbers. *aggressive*

njw1

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
I signed up for Sky Q as they have offered it to me cheaper, yes cheaper, than my existing Sky+ contract plus they cut the sign on fee from £149 to £60 to get me to sign up. On reflection that should have told me something aint right with the service!! I'm angry as they never told me that I couldnt get the 4k service on the supplied mini box and we have 2 4k tv's (as they are so cheap now). Plus they wont let me have 2 Sky Q Silver boxes to solve my problem (offered to pay the second fee), and I have 2 dishes on the house so it would be easy for them to set up. What hi-fi team should have picked up on this sort of downside, shame on you!

D

Deleted member 2457

Native_bon said:
Tim_Lennox said:
I am beginning to question expert reviews form long ago. Most products these days are just expensive & nothing else. Its a matter of we dn't care as far as we take your money. Tech is suppose to make things easer but its the total opposite. I know a lot of people would say how wonderful things are & we never had it better. *nea* Companies most of the time just interested in our money. No one can question if a product is working properly or not. They never even admit when there is a problem. I feel like this when I can't fight back..... *dash1*

All you can say to them right after the nxt xchange, is product not fit for purpose.
Agreed. I have bought a lot of products and some of them are just not fit for purpose.

kikiso

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I also got a discounted deal. I should have waited a bit longer. There are some plus points, but also some issues. I used to like the old remote, it was well designed and could control my AV Amp and TV as well s the Sky receiver. Now I need the remote for the AV Amp as well. You are now confronted with a menu screen when you turn Sky Q on and you have to press a badly positioned button to get back to full screen. The default should have been the other way around. I used to get the audio dropouts but they seem to have vanished, and I used to have to reboot it at least once a week but that seems to have rectified itself as well. After several months of use here are my conclusions:

Pros for me are 1080p which does look better on my PJ as well as my TV. No need for satellite cables to mini boxes, no telephone connections needed, ability to watch or make recordings from anywhere, skipping a minute at a time is useful, I can get over the ads with a few presses.

Cons are a worse interface than before, badly designed remote, lack of notification when too many concurrent recordings are scheduled, easy to accidentally delete an episode of a series if just deleting the one you've watched (I know you can undelete but this is a faff), you can't properly put the main box in eco mode as the mini boxes will not work if the main is still in eco mode, the new touch sensitive remote is a pile of poo, again, miss the facility to specify how many minutes into a program I want to skip to, I now have to fast fwd or skip a minute at a time, loss of favourite channel customisation (blue button is now useless).

If wifey wasn't adicted to the totally shyte US shows I would also be going down one of the alternative offerings now available. The majority of programs I like to watch are on the terrestial channels or films available via Netflix etc or blu-ray.

ddeban

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Six weeks of pain with the "new" SKY Q, and what awful customer service!

Basically if you dont have fibre and your house is made of bricks, then you will struggle. BT wont let you have their UHD service UNLESS you have BT Infinity. SKY will tuck you up with their SKY Q regardless.

The first installer left a couple of extra booster boxes. One on the landing - a trip hazard and another just plonked on an antique table. The mini box still kept losing its connection, even with all this stuff left around the house.

The case was referred to their Q tech department. Basically one guy who supports 60 engineers. He came eventually and said that there wasnt anything he could do. We needed to pay an independent installer to hardwire the mini box to the router. It then transpired that SKY WOULD do this, but needed ANOTHER appointment. Of course you fall to the back of the Q (pun intended) for this next part of the installation.

I subsequently learned that the Sky boxes contain an inbuilt Powerline feature that will of course render hard wiring and wifi redundant. However, no one seems to know when it will be turned on. "Christmas" seems the best guess.

I decided i had had enough and called to revert to SKY+, only to be told that would be another 3 week delay AND that i could not "re-upgrade" to SKY Q for another 12 months! Blackmail!

The only attraction had been UHD content (football so far) and the loss of multi-room was too big a price to pay. So in a couple of weeks the BETA testing will be over.......

This has taken twenty calls i think. Finally i did get a number of someone, rather than the endless menus at the call centre.

bemaniac

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I still lose the mini box connection regularly. The quality of the picture on the mini box even with a strong signal is worse than netflix 1080. dark scenes look more like netflix 480 macroblocking. Terrible encoding and decoding tech being used for multiscreen by sky.

D

Deleted member 2457

I am done with 4K Blu Ray players too, not good enough!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts