Sky+HD: S/W Update allows DD5.1 Via HDMI

daveh75

For those with the latest models of Sky+/HD boxes (DRX595/890/895) Sky are in the process of rolling out a s/w update which allows DD5.1, Eco mode and a few other tweaks.

It being rolled out in batches via the automatic d/load stream, so don't waste your time trying forced updates, it won't work.

More info and review
http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-hd-supertelly/52287-more-new-features-skys-epg.html

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I just called them about 2 hours ago asking why my new box installed yesterday did not have this ability. They never mentioned anything about this update to me, so thank you for sharing!

3937edwards

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
hi just had this update on my sky box at the moment i have the sound via an optical cable can someone tell me how to connect via hdmi to get the 5.1 dd please

3937edwards

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
hi just had this update on my sky box at the moment i have the sound via an optical cable can someone tell me how to connect via hdmi to get the 5.1 dd please

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Will sq improve? Else we wont need/wish to ditch our digital cables and configurations? Anyone tested both please as I wait for the update and prepare the Harmony one ??

daveh75

GSB said:
think the ECO mode is a good idea:)

Essential i'd say, as their previous solution to get round the EU less than 1w standby requirement was a poorly implemented cludge that rendered the box useless, and no one used.

When you're responsible for putting boxes in as many homes as Sky does there really is no excuse.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
On my avr if i press the options button on the remote control it allows me to select (if watching sky) wether i want HDMI or Optical to carry the sound so realy there is no need to unplug the optical untill such a time you are,say...doing a Chebby...even following a PP :shifty:

daveh75

grdunn123 said:
I have a 1TB box - unsure of make and model - any idea when I'll get the HDMI update?

Its an Amstrad DRX895 (original 1.5TB model, now discontinued/superceded by the 2TB), and the update is being rolled out in batches so could be anytime.

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
My Sky box connects to mt tv via HDMI cable. Just went into Sky Settings, Sound options, and chose Dolby D for HDMI connection instead of Normal, which resulted in no sound at all.

Surely that's not right ?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
stevee1966 said:
My Sky box connects to mt tv via HDMI cable. Just went into Sky Settings, Sound options, and chose Dolby D for HDMI connection instead of Normal, which resulted in no sound at all.

Surely that's not right ?

Clearly your TV doesn't support Dolby Digital and you have to ask, with only two speakers (probably), what would be the point of it?

michael hoy

Still not received my update (1.5TB) 895.
smiley-frown.gif

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Updates yesterday. No obvious benwfits BUT. Before reading this emailed Sky since anytime was screwed. Fine this morning. WHY cant Sky email to warn that it takes a day or two to finalize. Would save them hassle and us.

For the millions(?) using oprical/coax, is there any reason to change setup to hdmi? Are Sky planning to send better signal thru hdmi? Always thought it was a hardware issue so why has it taken them years to update software?
Anyway, back to saving money on eco :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts