Sky+ Hd Picture Resolution

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Morning Folks as the Above Subject trying to work Out The Best Picture Resolution to run with, Curently being using 1080i since the sky hd was set up not trying 720p current set up as follows.

SKY+HD ( Via Qed Hdmi ! )

AV RECEIVER = SONY STR-DG820 ( Via Qed Hdmi )

LCD = SONY KDL-40W5500

Viewing Is Mixed From Movies Sports & General Programmes

Does anyone see or Have A Prefrence Of Either

720P OR 1080i ???

Thanks Rgds Colin

GazzyP

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
Personally I watch SD programmes via SCART as my TV does a much better job of de-interlacing than the Sky Box - but the TV wont do this to signals input via HDMI. My TV's native resolution is 720p so have the Sky box set to this for HD programming.

It depends on your setup, but try different settings until you find something you are happy with.

I have heard that having the Sky box set to Auto causes very annoying changes of resolution when changing channel - which can be an issue.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
GazzyP:I have heard that having the Sky box set to Auto causes very annoying changes of resolution when changing channel - which can be an issue.

It's not an issue, it's just takes a second or two for the TV to switch from 1080i to 576p or back again. It's not what I'd call annoying or even mildly irritating, especially when (if) it results in an improved SD picture.

A

Anonymous

GazzyP:

Personally I watch SD programmes via SCART as my TV does a much better job of de-interlacing than the Sky Box - but the TV wont do this to signals input via HDMI.

A

Anonymous

GazzyP/the _lhc

I have my Sky+HD box set to Auto and is connected to my (Full HD) TV via the amp with an HDMI lead.

Does this mean that the TV is NOT upscaling SD programmes as the only connection is via an HDMI?

Thanks

GazzyP

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
I've just had a play with the Automatic settings and its quite interesting as it only seems to choose between 576p and 1080i. So in 576p the Sky box is stil doing all the de-interlacing (something its known for not being good at) and then in HD channels its in 1080i - when I have found with my TV (which is over 4 years old now) 720p is much clearer without any of the interlaced flicker.

My TV does flash and flicker when the box changes resolution - so is a little distracting - but guess this is down to each TV.

So I do feel that feeding an SD channel via SCART in 480i (or whatever it is) and letting the TV use its BRAVIA Engine to de-interlace, and enhance the SD pciture and use HDMI at 720p for HD is the best solution for me.

Really depends on your setup - so best play around until it suits you.

I'd be interested to hear what others find.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Wovian:GazzyP/the _lhc

I have my Sky+HD box set to Auto and is connected to my (Full HD) TV via the amp with an HDMI lead.

Does this mean that the TV is NOT upscaling SD programmes as the only connection is via an HDMI?

Yes it is upscaling, if it wasn't the SD pictures would appear in a 576 line block in the middle of the screen. It might not be deinterlacing via HDMI but that's a different matter.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
GazzyP:I've just had a play with the Automatic settings and its quite interesting as it only seems to choose between 576p and 1080i. So in 576p the Sky box is stil doing all the de-interlacing (something its known for not being good at) and then in HD channels its in 1080i - when I have found with my TV (which is over 4 years old now) 720p is much clearer without any of the interlaced flicker.

I don't think I've ever seen any flicker on my set.

My TV does flash and flicker when the box changes resolution - so is a little distracting - but guess this is down to each TV.

Yes my screen just goes black for the second or so it takes to switch resolutions.

So I do feel that feeding an SD channel via SCART in 480i (or whatever it is) and letting the TV use its BRAVIA Engine to de-interlace, and enhance the SD pciture and use HDMI at 720p for HD is the best solution for me.

That's a bit of a faff isn't it, having to change inputs on the TV depending on what channel you're watching?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts