SKY HD just installed and the noise !

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've just had HD put in and have noticed a huge increase in the nosie the box makes when on compared to my old sky+ box. Even sitting 12ft away you can hear what sounds like an internal fan working overtime, up close it's ridiculous. Surley not the norm but then I don't know.

Any comments before I get the SKY man back in ?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

It's in the same piece of furniture as the previous incumbent (Sky+). At least 2 inches clearance all sides, plus the noise is the moment you turn it on from standby, not as if it's had chance to heat up. I'm hoping it's just the fact the the box is new and needs running in !?

Cheer

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
I wouldn't really say a Sky box needs running in, if anything I'd say the opposite. The longer you have it, the noisier it'll get! Although you'll probably get used to it, I don't even notice mine now, and I was a bit worried when it was new.

Some HD boxes seem to be noisier than others, maybe down to the differing hard drives. You can buy alternative fans, but I don't imagine you'll want to go down that road with a new box!

If it is really noisy it might be worth giving them a call?

A

Anonymous

Thanks to all for your comments so far, I htink I'll give it a few more days and then call if I'm still unsatisfied. Away for the weekend where there will be Sky HD to compare.

A

Anonymous

Only if my Fan had worked and my box wouldnt have Blown up , What would you have ,The Fan or no Sky HD ? :)

Andy Grange

Aug 2, 2007
Visit site
I've got my HD box sat on top of my dvd recorder, and the noise is minimal at the most. Not enough to hear over the TV volume even set 1/4 of the full volume.

I'd phone Sky up, sounds like you might have a dodgy HDD.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Andy Grange:I've got my HD box sat on top of my dvd recorder, and the noise is minimal at the most. Not enough to hear over the TV volume even set 1/4 of the full volume.

I'd phone Sky up, sounds like you might have a dodgy HDD.

Mine only makes a slight whimper when recording something or when rebooting it makes a racket for a couple of seconds, a la computers.

A

Anonymous

I got my original Sky HD box swapped last week because of the hard disk noise. The replacement seems worse - I can hear the hard disk clatter all the time; if I record a HD channel it goes mental.

I appreciate HD content will require significantly higher data throughput to the HDD, but this is very distracting from what I'm watching. I'll be onto Sky again tonight. (yey)

A

Anonymous

AndersUk:I got my original Sky HD box swapped last week because of the hard disk noise. The replacement seems worse - I can hear the hard disk clatter all the time; if I record a HD channel it goes mental.

I appreciate HD content will require significantly higher data throughput to the HDD, but this is very distracting from what I'm watching. I'll be onto Sky again tonight. (yey)

More hours on the phone to idiots ..... Yey !

A

Anonymous

Fitting in with my timescales and request, Sky came out and replaced my very noisy Sky HD box with a brand new box today. I specifically asked for a brand new box on the call to the service centre, as the usual ploy is to swap boxes with refurbished models. The engineer said I'd be getting a Pace model, instead of the usual Thompson model. (Sky have very recently started using Pace and Samsung HD boxes.)

I am quite simply amazed by how quiet the Pace model is!! I can only hear the gentle hum of the fan, and that's only if I mute everything and stand really close to the box. Also the menu system flies along in comparison to the Thompson. In short I am very pleased with the Pace model.

A

Anonymous

I wonder if ordering new can you specify that you'd like a pace or samsung model????

daveh75

no you cant, you get what ever the installer has been supplied with for that days intalls,but he could have a mix of all 3 on board,un if your first call of the day an he's a nice bloke, he may sort you out, if you ask nicely,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts