Sky +HD compatable with hdmi???

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

after all of this i sorry to say i am still not getting the sound i think i should be getting!

to recap ive got a hdmi lead connected from sky hd box to my sony Tv, ive got an optical lead from the sky hd box to the dvr input on my denon avr 2310 amp, ive got a hdmi lead from the amp connected to the tv and ive got my blu ray player connected by hdmi to the hpd input on the amp, ive switched the sky box to stereo, and dolby digital output, and im listening to the tv now through the dvr stereo source,

Do i have to change any other settings on either my tv or amp?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
jonbates:
after all of this i sorry to say i am still not getting the sound i think i should be getting!

to recap ive got a hdmi lead connected from sky hd box to my sony Tv, ive got an optical lead from the sky hd box to the dvr input on my denon avr 2310 amp, ive got a hdmi lead from the amp connected to the tv and ive got my blu ray player connected by hdmi to the hpd input on the amp, ive switched the sky box to stereo, and dolby digital output, and im listening to the tv now through the dvr stereo source,

Do i have to change any other settings on either my tv or amp?

I don't understand, I thought you wanted to listen to the Dolby Digital (where available, not everything is broadcast with DD soundtrack)?

Set the Sky output to Dolby Digital, turn the sound down or off on the TV and select the DVR input on the amp, that's it. If (IF!) a DD soundtrack is available your amp should auto-detect it and play it as normal.

A

Anonymous

i want to listen to the best sound available when watching tv, i have my tv sound off compleatly and use the surround sound system to produce the sound

A

Anonymous

Ps i am aware that not everthing is broadcast in DD but if not i presume it will be broadcast in stereo

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
jonbates:
i want to listen to the best sound available when watching tv, i have my tv sound off compleatly and use the surround sound system to produce the sound

Right, so what exactly is the issue?

A

Anonymous

is the set up have done correct? do i have to set up the amp or tv menu's to recieve or output different sound signals as well as using the leads

A

Anonymous

It was Andrews reply as follows that confussed me, i wasnt sure which componants had to be changed, ie Tv amp or sky box!

Press the set-up button, and on the menu onscreen choose Option 3 Digital Input. Then change the audio input for whichever input button you have the HDMI from the Sky HD connected to - usually CBL/SAT - to the digital audio input into which you've inserted the cable from the Sky HD box digital audio out. See page 35 of the manual for explanation.

A

Anonymous

Andrew are you out there?

If so is the following set up correct?

ive got a hdmi lead connected from sky hd box to my sony Tv, ive got an optical lead from the sky hd box to the dvr input on my denon avr 2310 amp, ive got a hdmi lead from the amp tv out connected to the tv and ive got my blu ray player connected by hdmi to the hpd input on the amp, ive switched the sky box to stereo, and dolby digital output, and im listening to the tv now through the dvr stereo source,

do i have to change imput output assignments on the amp? im also not using a hdmi lead from the sky box to the sat/cbl input on the amp, should i be?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
jonbates:
Andrew are you out there?

Well, that's one way of putting it I suppose...

ive switched the sky box to stereo, and dolby digital output,

What does this mean? The options are either stereo OR Dolby Digital.

im also not using a hdmi lead from the sky box to the sat/cbl input on the amp, should i be?

No you don't have to, how you've got it setup will work fine, I'll ask again, why do you think you're not getting the proper sound?

A

Anonymous

because Andrew posted the following

Press the set-up button, and on the menu onscreen choose Option 3 Digital Input. Then change the audio input for whichever input button you have the HDMI from the Sky HD connected to - usually CBL/SAT - to the digital audio input into which you've inserted the cable from the Sky HD box digital audio out. See page 35 of the manual for explanation

this confussed me because im not using the cbl /sat input on the amp

A

Anonymous

this made me think i should be using the sat cbl input on the amp , and if im not should i be changing the input assigns for dvr

A

Anonymous

what do you mean by substitute?

do i have to change the amp assign as idicated in andrews reply to change the input on dvr to dolby digital which ive got optical lead connected from the sky box to amp with?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
NO!!

Andrew's instructions are only if you're connecting the Sky's HDMI AND Optical to the amp. You aren't, so when you watch Sky just select the DVR input on the amp and that's it.

A

Anonymous

Ok, but then that leaves me aasking the question of do i have the set up correct, Andrews advise was for the best connection for 1080 picture and optimum sound was to have both the blu ray dvd coneted and a sky hd box, so should i have the sky box connected to the amp through a hdmi to sat/cbl input with the optical lead connected from the sky box to the dvr input as this is the only way to transfer dolby sound, thn change the assign imput as indicated, then have the the amp connected to the TV via hdmi and the blu ray connected to the amp via a hdmi to the hpd input, i think were the instructions or it could have been to have the bdv connested direct to the tv i cant remember ill have to read the treads again.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
You don't need an HDMI cable from your sky box to your amp just to your tv & an optical cable to your amp for sound don't forget to assign your amp for the optical cable.

A

Anonymous

Ok, if i have my sky connected to the Tv via hdmi and my sky connected to my amp via the dvr2 optical input which im advised is the only way do get dolby digital, your saying i need to assign the amp to optical, when i go to the imput assign on the menu i have the dvr set to digital for dvr imput, is that correct coz there isnt a optical option

Russell Finch

Nov 3, 2008
Visit site
Of course all of this wouldn't be necessary if the Sky HD box possessed the pretty basic ability to output 5.1 through HDMI. It's pretty unbelievable that when they designed the new 1tb box they didn't add that. As for not being able to windowbox 4:3 material without changing the resolution, don't get me started...

A

Anonymous

Just read the entire contents of this thread and laughed my head off !! It really is the most comical I've seen in some time & highly recommended !!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts