sky hd cancellation-what do I lose?

murg

May 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi All,
can anyone tell me what exactly I would lose if I cancel my sky hd subscription. I refer to functions of the pvr
ie...can I still acess the hd, can I record bbchd etc. I am asking because a sky salesman said I could still use the hd box to record,i`m slightly confused. others are telling me otherwise.

Thanks

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
As far as I know, end the subscription and you can view the free to air channels, but that's about it. I think the ability to record and play back is contingent on having a subscription.

A

Anonymous

I think Andrew is 100% bang on the money, the recording facilities do cease to work and the box does become a free to air box as most of the customers ive spoke to about this say the same too.

Regards> M

murg

May 20, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Andrew,
thats what I thought too but the rep was adamant you could still record on it. I got the offer from sky of free hd box and free install and also £30.00 off my bill from sky I was considering if it was a better deal than buying freesat for roughly £340.00 (including dish install)in a one off payment-if you are following me!! but if the sky box is useless when I cancel after a year then I would be wasting my money.

A

Anonymous

If you do cancel Sky and go to Freesat then you can use the existing dish and 2 cables for Freesat as they use the same satellite frequency as Sky, so you would only need to buy a Freesat PVR.

If im being honest, there is not much on Freesat compared to Sky, i never had a Sky contract, have always had Freeview then i went on to buying the Humax Foxsat-HDR to try Freesat out, it did cost me £299 for the box at that time and £100 to sort a dish out, i never hardly used it and there was hardly anything on Freesat against Freeview apart from BBC HD in my opinion, so i took the plunge and went Sky+ HD, ive not regretted it once so far.

So if you want a contract free satellite tv, then Freesat is not bad at all but i think for choice in programs and more HD programs, then Sky is the choice.

Regards> M

Binman

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
I cancelled my Sky HD subscription last month, and have bought a Freesat box.

To confirm - you can still get free to air channels, and some HD channels, and I think more free channels than you get on freesat.

If you want to continue to use the PVR functions after cancelling subscription, you can pay Sky £10/month (its actually something like £9.75) to use the PVR functions, but you would only still get the free to air channels.

daveh75

sonycentre:you will still get bbc hd,c4hd,luxe hd,itv hd(with new epg)e4 hd and sky news and fox hd when launched on 1st of march this year.Well actually,E4 HD requires a subscription to the HD pack and AFAIK so will Fox HD

A

Anonymous

daveh75:sonycentre:you will still get bbc hd,c4hd,luxe hd,itv hd(with new epg)e4 hd and sky news and fox hd when launched on 1st of march this year.Well actually,E4 HD requires a subscription to the HD pack and AFAIK so will Fox HD
daveh , slightly of topic , do you know of any plans for more hd channels on freesat ?? thanks....

TRENDING THREADS