Sky+ HD box upgrade

I've been thinking of upgrading some components on my Sky+ HD box.....things that will result in real improvement in picture quality, along with a hard drive upgrade to 1TB. The main thing I want to improve on, is upscaling.

Is it possible? If so, is it worth it? And where can I get it done? Please don't suggest that Russ Andrews alternative which is equal to my year's worth of Sky HD subscription with movies & sports!

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
I've been thinking of upgrading some components on my Sky+ HD box.....things that will result in real improvement in picture quality, along with a hard drive upgrade to 1TB. The main thing I want to improve on, is upscaling. Is it possible? If so, is it worth it? And where can I get it done? Please don't suggest that Russ Andrews alternative which is equal to my year's worth of Sky HD subscription with movies & sports!

BB

Interesting ask, I also would like to know...............

Couple of things off the top of my head that I would like to know if they would improve;

Cabling from the dish (quality and upgrade)

Dish alignement (I often wonder when I look at the info bar why the signal quality is only half way + on the scale)

1080i output from Sky HD to 1080p upscale in avr then to tv (I don't have a 1080p upscaler on my avr)

Also is there an alternative scaler that could be fitted to the Sky box?

Hopefully there is someone out there who can help?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
fayeanddavid said:
1080i output from Sky HD to 1080p upscale in avr then to tv (I don't have a 1080p upscaler on my avr)

You'll be buying a new AVR then? If you're going to do that, set the Sky box to auto, not 1080i, otherwise the Sky box is upscaling everything, the TV/AVR is just deinterlacing, you should get better results if you let the TV or AVR upscale as well.

A

Anonymous

Russ Andrews do a sky hd box upgrade - have a look at their list of changes and see if you can do them yourself?

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
fayeanddavid said:

You'll be buying a new AVR then? If you're going to do that, set the Sky box to auto, not 1080i, otherwise the Sky box is upscaling everything, the TV/AVR is just deinterlacing, you should get better results if you let the TV or AVR upscale as well.

Yep, that's how I currently have the set up (on auto), just wondering about any significant improvement by a new avr upscaler?

Don't get me wrong, quite pleased in genearl terms with Sky HD PQ but always interested in a bit more (nature of the beast)!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
fayeanddavid said:
The_Lhc said:
fayeanddavid said:

Yep, that's how I currently have the set up (on auto), just wondering about any significant improvement by a new avr upscaler?

I guess that'll depend on how much you're prepared to spend on the AVR (up to a point).

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I made several changes to my Sky HD box. First thing i added was a Tacima Mains Conditioner (around £30). This added so much extra performance for all my kit including TV. Noticable difference in sound and picture quality. Then i tried several different HDMI cables, tried Chord Active, QED P, Thatcable settling on a Wireworld (£50). The cable really improved low bit rate channels such as the Music ones. Cable kept external noise at bay whilst delivering pristine quality signal, motion improved too, assuming consistency of signal delivery. These changes were good but i felt that little bit of extra noise in SD channels could be improved so i added a new Silver plated mains cable with Ferrite band (£35) to remove that little bit of noise, and add some extra shielding over the flimsy Sky lead. The difference in audio, picture contrast and motion have to be seen to be believed. The cable was from 'www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk'. Just a warning that the silver takes a lifetime to burn in before you get the full benefit. Tried on PS3 too and great improvement to BD quality. Tried on TV too yet blurring became an issue so i still use included lead for that.

I have my Sky HD box set to 1080i and i calibrated my TV pic on an SD channel (news is good) with black and white background for contrast, whites used to test brightness, sharpness look at edges and take just below any drop in edge definition. Colours, look for red and avoid blurring. Basically when setting look for any negative effects on the edges of backgrounds presenters etc. on all picture tweaks. Take a step back to eliminate and you should be good to go. When i then went to HD it was perfect.

Best of all i can keep all my kit and use it on any other piece of equipment i choose, and get benefits for my TV and BD player too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts