Sky HD - blue screen - red remote light perm on

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
good evening just turned to my sky channel and image is of a permanent blue screen and red light next to the power on looks like a remote light is on - no buttons do anything

got my hd update card through last friday and wonder if that has failed or crashed my box - any ideas?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
It's either died or locked up. Try unplugging the mains cable, or turning it off at the mains, wait 10sec or so, then reconnect it. It should then go through a reboot, which will take five minutes or so - but will seem much longer. During this the red light will stay on, and after this it may then revive after a while when you press the power button on the remote.

If that doesn't work, it's a call to the Sky service people.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No reason why a reboot should make the picture less sharp, and at least it's now working!

I guess it will try to download next time new software/firmware is available, this usually happens overnight

sonycentre

May 30, 2009
Visit site
Try this, hold down the back-up button on your sky hd box,keep holding down the back-up button.unplug your box from the mains and leave unplugged for about 30 seconds.Plug mains back in(whilst still holding the back-up button)And wait for all the lights on the sky box to come on.you should then get a software update screen on your tv.that should sort out your problem.hope this helps you.let us know how you get on.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Couple of points, it's the backup button on the front of the box itself, not the one on the remote (just in case anyone was wondering and apparently they do...), you don't have to hold the button down when you pull the plug, only when you put the power back in again and lastly when doing a power off reset at any time, sometimes leaving the plug out for ten seconds isn't long enough, I've had issues where I've pulled the plug for 20 seconds and it's made no difference, but pulling the plug and leaving it for 5 minutes has fixed the problem. I''ve absolutely no idea why though.

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
Quite correct LHC!
The reason why you should wait longer before plugging any electrical unit back in is simply because some of the components (particularly capacitors in power supplies) still retain a charge for up to several minutes.
That can be a problem while trying to reset equipment or it can be a bonus.
For example, if my mobile phone is low on batteries in the middle of a call, I can in fact slide the battery out and the phone is still powered for 30 seconds while I slide the replacement battery in (I always carry a fully charged spare).

With Sky boxes, waiting 5 minutes is a good habit.

tvmog

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

No reason why a reboot should make the picture less sharp, and at least it's now working!

Don't know what the reason was, but it is exactly what happpened with my old Tompson HD Box. It did a sudden reboot while I was watching an HD programme and when it finished resetting and the picture returned there was an obvious degradation of sharpness on HD and all the SD channels had taken on a fuzzy, slightly pinkish tint. (Thats why it became my old Tompson box).

tvmog

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

Don't know what the reason was, but it is exactly what happpened with my old Tompson HD Box. It did a sudden reboot while I was watching an HD programme and when it finished resetting and the picture returned there was an obvious degradation of sharpness on HD and all the SD channels had taken on a fuzzy, slightly pinkish tint. (Thats why it became my old Tompson box).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts