Sky Glass

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

doifeellucky

i have two Plasma Panasonics one is 50 and 3D an the other the 46 inch I will keep them running until they go west . Question is what do i buy next ? wait and see maybe it be this year who knows
Money no object probably the Sony A95K, but I could never justify that amount, rumoured to be £2700 for the 55”. As I’m no longer a console gamer the general consensus seems to be the Sony A80J is a good option due to its superior motion handling over the equivalent LG. I’d never buy a Samsung. Every item of theirs I’ve owned has failed, in a matter of months or even weeks in one case. I’m tempted by the Panasonic JZ1500.

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
So here we all are. 10 months down the line or down the Glass line" what has changed ? Not a lot really the same TVs and specs and few extra channels are on there i believe ie CNN? yes it has it still has it flaws , from day one and good points/ lets look at its good points. decent sound no satellite dish .
But hold on many now use internet to download , so no need to have a dish. anyway ( i take the view this TV is too little too late in what it brings a TV viewer ) Convenient to use "this is questionable " price is good if you rent the TV ie the 55 inch and the larger one and do not have the cash . Now the bad things ! Pointless TV it does not give the mid range specs you would expect on a rental TV and having a TV that is not really mid range means it be out of date within 2 years now . lack of connections except sound but i get the impression you cannot add any decent speakers to it. so the TV is limited but good sounds
The picture for a 4k okay but not full UHD or OLED ? or certainly not QLED and the new one that has just come out , which replaces OLED . See the ever changing picture in the TV world
But these are just fancy letters to get guys like you to buy the latest TV ,which cannot be used to there full capacity ie no 8k Just Blu Ray .
By the way buy as many Blu ray you can buy they are now cheaper than ever before. ( note i bought 10 BluRays for £15 s/h ) Now that is a bargain is it not ?

So did Sky make a blunder in bringing "Glass" ? yes and no . No because they had too. and yes a complete mess of an idea too little too late. They had to do something against Netflix Amazon . But they got it wrong , very wrong.
What would i have done ? Bring out the system before COVID 19 ie 2019 or 2018 With the exact same specs . make a full voice active system offer things people want not bring out a TV that is 2 years behind the times So they missed the boat by a mile Good try perhaps think of something different next time guys

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
I can see the advantages of the Glass system ie you get a TV on a monthly basis . but the TV is only has a 2 years warranty? yes can buy an extension ??? and you could be paying for 3 years . It is in my opinion an out of date TV the sounds system is okay but the rest of the TV is not as good as the latest model Hisense and TCL . So i would advise anyone wanting to get the TV is not too

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
think the conclusion over "Glass" it will suit some people ie no dish and live in a high rise or rural areas. But for the rest of us. Noting it is a Phillips TV which we know is a bit behind the times, with there TVs And them look at the prices . Note can get a fair 55 inch TV for £400 or less . ( wait for Black Friday) . The jury has said guilty as charged . This TV relies on updates for the rest of its life . Those updates have been very slow in coming . yes it is a better TV now in 2022 , than its launch . Clearly not worth the money . , for me at least. I keep my PLASMA 50 3D 2011 model and 2010 model until ?

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
i saw a full write up when sky glass came out ( You Tube) and the guy gave his honest opinion after signing up. The system then was full of holes. It was as if they not actually finished the product ( they had not) The decision at the time was to let the owners of the Glass and let them sort out the problems that Sky should have sorted out before hand
. I take the view Sky Glass is not fit for purpose . The TV is cheap and very expensive at that . Good Sounds though.
Now they have had to order a lot of them and still advertising yet the new system Sky stream i not seen a lot of adverts on it . It is Sky stream that should have been introduce and not wasting time trying to sell a product
. In my view is poor I compared my cheap £256 2022 TCL 50 inch against Sky glass product costing £800 Phillips . And the winner was / yes the TCL 3 1 where the TCL is average is the sounds the Phillips TV has better sounds , but that is it. I have no idea why they did not push Sky Stream instead of Sky Glass Which is at best a poor average TV ( very heavy too). They been better to have there system in a Hisense or TCL product with a decent sound box.. Who ever advised SKY to bring this product out in my view needs to XXX.

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
All products have a SIX year warranty, that is the law. Goods are to be fit for purpose for up to 6 years. However, if you buy a cheaper item you should not expect that to last 6 years, Richer Sounds are not doing you a favour with a 6 year warranty, it is the law! Very simple!

If you mad enough to buy and subscribe to Sky glass, that will have a longer warranty, if your glass fails, after their warranty period, ring them up to cancel, they will ask you why? Say equipment has failed, and they will send a replacement. That is what they do with the set top boxes, obviously I don't know if it will be the same with the glass?

I will be sticking to the dish, and SkyQ, there is a greater selection of channels and I am not tied into any broadband or a service contract.
6 years ? love to see these products last 6 years . maybe if used one hour a day perhaps ( note PLASMA TVs last up to 35 year my PLASMA here are 15 years old ) Take the view that a cheap LED product will last maybe 3 years if lucky with normal use . But what worries me are the top of the range will they last any longer? After what happened to the top of the range curved TVs about the same or maybe 6 if you lucky . ( i was recently offered a 65 curved TV for £300 s/h a Samsung i believe it was . No way Jose

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
Sky glass upgrade is too late . There been many problems with the system before it come out and still not fit for purpose. Paying out £800 on a TV that okay has good sounds but the picture is worse than my TCL £256 TV. . so what is the point of it ?? Waste of money sorry folks Sky has shot themselves in the foot on this one. Yet there new digital service of which we here very little appears to be good. So why bring out the Sky Glass in the first place. ? The TVs even with this new upgrade is a waste of anyones money

Friesiansam

Sky glass upgrade is too late . There been many problems with the system before it come out and still not fit for purpose. Paying out £800 on a TV that okay has good sounds but the picture is worse than my TCL £256 TV. . so what is the point of it ?? Waste of money sorry folks Sky has shot themselves in the foot on this one. Yet there new digital service of which we here very little appears to be good. So why bring out the Sky Glass in the first place. ? The TVs even with this new upgrade is a waste of anyones money
Sky is a waste of anyone's money. We moved to Freesat a few months ago and, I'm sure most of the channels we no longer get, were just filler.

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
i still think Sky shot themselve in the foot here especially now they introduced another dishless service . The Glass ( Philips tv is not very good either poor picture for the money ) aand very expensive too

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts