Sky Glass

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
I do not have Sky but looking at Sky glass televisions it takes me back to when we rented our tvs. I can't imagine why anyone would pay a monthly rental for a television. Perhaps Sky viewers can enlighten me.

abacus

If you are lucky TVs get updates with new features added for about 3 years, after that if you want the latest features you have to buy a new TV, which as your old TV is now worth little (Everybody wants the latest features) means it gets expensive.
Rental means (Just like in the old days) that you can upgrade for little cost to get the latest tech so it can work out cheaper than constantly buying a new TVs to get the latest features, plus as it’s a Sky package the rental for the TV is pretty low.
In the end it is down to each person’s requirements.

Bill

Samd

No Sky Q Box needed, no Satellite dish needed just a decent wifi connection cos everything is streamed by the telly - not that I am interested but there will be many that are I am sure!

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
"IF" and a big "IF" too get Sky Glass. The system needs a number of updates . They have a long way to go , to replace "Q" a long way . Renting the TV is a good idea but how long is the contract for ?? You can pick up a cheap Chinese (you all know the make) for about £495 for a ROKU tv of 55 inches or cheaper and a 65 for £549 . They work okay , but do not expect them to last more than 2 /3 years as they will not. Buy it get it insured 2 year warranty This compares with £21 a month for the 65 . But who makes it ??? Sky has not said , anything , which is odd

D

Deleted member 196519

"IF" and a big "IF" too get Sky Glass. The system needs a number of updates . They have a long way to go , to replace "Q" a long way . Renting the TV is a good idea but how long is the contract for ?? You can pick up a cheap Chinese (you all know the make) for about £495 for a ROKU tv of 55 inches or cheaper and a 65 for £549 . They work okay , but do not expect them to last more than 2 /3 years as they will not. Buy it get it insured 2 year warranty This compares with £21 a month for the 65 . But who makes it ??? Sky has not said , anything , which is odd
The same manufacture as Philips TV makes them. Get 2 year warranty on Philips TVs too. Not the most reliable TVs going though.

daveh75

You don't rent the TV, you buy it!

Either outright or via interest free credit over 24 or 48 months.

It's manufactured by TP Vision.

But, It is seriously buggy ATM and people should also be aware it's not really analogous to Sky Q being delivered over IP

It's channel and feature limited by comparison

Last edited:
Rating will be bad for all major companies who make multiple products.

Why would anyone buy a TV with one year warranty when the likes of Richer Sounds and John Lewis give 5-6 years?

D

Deleted member 196519

Rating will be bad for all major companies who make multiple products.

Why would anyone buy a TV with one year warranty when the likes of Richer Sounds and John Lewis give 5-6 years?
Especially when you have the likes of Costco offering 5 year warranties too and free 90 day returns. Not to mention their cheap prices.

Reactions: bigboss

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
so it is Phillips not sure that good or bad . still think i look somewhere else when i change my TV Will try my best not to buy HISENSE but go for LG or even Sony when i do . currently have 2 PANASONIC PLASMA 46 and 50 7th / 8th generation . 2010/11 To be honest they working very well . However one has a minor fault on the switch power .

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
well , well , well an update It will have to be a major one . Basically the new subscribers are being used as guinea pigs . How about testing it first , before you introduce it to the world , as this wonderful service , Which to be honest is a damp squid, yes has great potential (of sorts) The problem is they are behind Amazon and Netflix , who are years ahead , of them in this field . They so use to satellite transmissions , they forgot there was a different , non satellite world , out there

Gray

well , well , well an update It will have to be a major one . Basically the new subscribers are being used as guinea pigs . How about testing it first , before you introduce it to the world , as this wonderful service , Which to be honest is a damp squid, yes has great potential (of sorts) The problem is they are behind Amazon and Netflix , who are years ahead , of them in this field . They so use to satellite transmissions , they forgot there was a different , non satellite world , out there
....ah but it is carbon neutral.
(So it will sell to those that glue themselves to roads).

D

Deleted member 196519

well no because he has not shown any programs that actually running on at full screen . And this is where everyone who gets one will want to know . Perhaps next time he does this show a program on his gleaming new TV full screen please.
That’s because he explains quite clearly he can’t because of copyright!

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
Now the contract is for 48 months i believe at £21 but my question is what warranty is on this TV , is it a 4 year one , because you are renting it / lease . So are you covered . remember these TVs can suffer from screen burn Do they supply another Tv if this happens

Now the contract is for 48 months i believe at £21 but my question is what warranty is on this TV , is it a 4 year one , because you are renting it / lease . So are you covered . remember these TVs can suffer from screen burn Do they supply another Tv if this happens
You need to check the fine print. Even with Sky Q box, you never actually own it. And yet after 1 year, you have to pay for repairs.

D

Deleted member 196519

2 year warranty still:

Reactions: nopiano

daveh75

Wrong on all counts, again!

The Sky Glass Ultimate TV subscription is a 31 day rolling contract @ £26 pm

The TV is not leased or rented, you buy it, either via interest free credit over 24 or 48 months, or you buy it outright, as I've already pointed out to you in this very thread

And the interest free loan payments start at £13 pm for the small 43" TV over 48 months (on top of £26 pm Ultimate TV sub)

Last edited:

djh1697

Nov 27, 2008
Visit site
All products have a SIX year warranty, that is the law. Goods are to be fit for purpose for up to 6 years. However, if you buy a cheaper item you should not expect that to last 6 years, Richer Sounds are not doing you a favour with a 6 year warranty, it is the law! Very simple!

If you mad enough to buy and subscribe to Sky glass, that will have a longer warranty, if your glass fails, after their warranty period, ring them up to cancel, they will ask you why? Say equipment has failed, and they will send a replacement. That is what they do with the set top boxes, obviously I don't know if it will be the same with the glass?

I will be sticking to the dish, and SkyQ, there is a greater selection of channels and I am not tied into any broadband or a service contract.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts