Sky and connection to landline?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm considering getting Sky for the HD broadcasts but the Sky T's and C's state that for the first year you must have it connected to a landline. Now my phone connection point is a couple of rooms away from where I want to bring the feed in from the satellite and I don't want to trail wires through the rooms. Under the floor is no good either due to tiles, etc.

Is there a remote phone line connection solution that could remove the need to cable?

Alternatively is there a method of connecting to Sky without the landline option?

I've spoken to a guy at one of the stands in the shopping centres and he advised me to tell the engineer that I would fix a permanent line after he had left but not to do so. Someone else has told me that Sky do perform checks on this.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers,

Kev.

daveh75

If you get a subsidised box from Sky then yes the phoneline will need to be connected for the first 12 month's,and yes Sky will try to do callback's on the box on a regular basis(about once a month) and if the callbacks fail you'll get a letter telling you to connect it to a working phoneline.

Not sure if there is any wireless solutions to extend a phone line, but there is however another solution, Ask Sky for an NPL (No phone line) installation.Sky will charge you extra for an NPL install, £25 i believe, but it saves you any problem's with being in breach of Sky's T&C's further down the line or having to find a way of getting a phone line to where the stb will be.

HTH,

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Wireless senders are usually quite good - try Maplins for your phone sender. £40 at present. I thought Sky needed the line for upgrades/downloads etc. may be wrong tho.

Let us know how well the sender works

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice. Had a look at the Maplins wireless phone extender. Says it can't carry an ADSL signal and is limited to 36kbps. So I guess I now need to know whether the sky connection is purely a phone not broadband signal and if so, whether the speed limit is an issue. Anyone know?Although if the £25 NPL option is one off payment then at £40 the sender might be a more expensive solution. Is the £25 a one off or do I need to ring Sky? ( call centres :-/ )Cheers,Kev.

daveh75

The Sky connection is purely a standard phoneline(pstn) connection,not adsl.The £25 NPL installation is a one off charge,though i dont think you can order an NPL install online so you may have to speak to Sky anyway.

idc

When I had Sky installed at my new house I just accepted that it meant they would run a phone line round the living room and the guy did a good job keeping it neat. But a couple of days later I was attempting to fit a router and saw that the end of the line had come out of its connector. It did not appear to have been properly wired in place in the first place. I phoned Sky and they said they would not send out an engineer for such a small repair. So I told them I would just leave it. Have'nt heard back from them since.

A

Anonymous

I got Sky HD earlier this year, and I don't have a landline at all. You have to phone Sky rather tha trying to subscribe on-line, so it's possible you may miss out on the very best offers but for me it was worth it. I told them I din't have a land line nor was I going to get one and asked if there was any way to have Sky regardless. I was after Sky HD ( which I think is great by the way). I had to pay an extra one off fee of £25 when registering for the privelege of not being conected to a land line, but other than that, bingo!
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Many thanks for the replies.

I have just had a chat with Sky via web messenger and they say -

You: I am looking at getting Sky HD but am concerned about the need to connect the box to the BT landline I have. The connection point is miles away (not literally). Is there an option to not connect to the landline?

Sky: What we can do if you order now is, send out an egineer, he can discuss the options with you and if you cant agree a connection method you can just pay £25 one off fee for a wireless connection.

Will order later today! :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts