SKY 3D & Panasonic TX-P42VT20B Conflict

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I recently purchased TX-P42VT20B full 3D plasma TV along with the Panasonic 3D Blu Ray player and surround sound system. Due to the limited availability of full 3D Blu Ray movies I subscribed to Sky's 3D Channel, the performance of the Panasonics 3D capability is mind blowing but there was a problem, when watching Sky 3D the Sky box fails to respond when you press any buttons on the Sky remote i.e pause, play, stop, ffd/rwnd or if you try and bring the Sky menu up, the box doesnt respond straight away and often locks up.

I telephoned Sky's technical department and they thought the Sky HD box may be faulty so arranged an engineer visit, a few days later they arrived, I demonstrated the problem with the box, only does it on 3D, the engineer changed the box for a new one but it was still the same! They then thought the remote control may be faulty, changed it for a new one, still the same!

After a lot of messing about we covered up the 3D passive infared sensors on the front of the Panasonic tv and the sky box responded immediatly? The sky engineer was then convinced the passive infared on the TV was interfiering with the infared on the Sky remote control and suggested I telephone Panasonics technical helpline - I did and they said " Oh yes the infared on the TV is interfiering with the Sky remote, what you need to do is move your Sky box away from the TV until the remote starts to work, this may resolve the problem but it depends on the layout of the room and the number of reflective surfaces!" What a load of rubbish, Ive never heard anything so ridiculous in my life, the tv cost me £1400 and I cant use it with SKY 3D? I tried moving the box all over the room but it didnt make the slightest difference!

Surely Panasonic field test thier new equipment to check for compatability issues? In this instance obviously not!

So my advice is dont buy this TV if your planning on getting SKY 3D - It will not work properly, your remote wont respond!

Im now in the process of negotiating a deal on a Samsung 3D package as apparently the Samsung 3D TV's use a different passive infared 3D system/frequency

Finally a message to Panasonic - What a complete and utter discrace! Field test your equipment before releasing it to us the consumer, we are not here to test your kit for you!

A

Anonymous

Surely your going to test the samsung first before you commit again though aren't you? you dont want to go through all this again do you?

ukdavej

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
It was a simlar issue that first led me to this forum ages ago. I bought a Panasonic LCD and my Virgin box stopped accepting the remote commands. Turns out that the light that floods from the TV when it wass first switched on bamboozeled the remote for about 10 minutes. I tried moving the box to no avail and in the end Virgin replaced it with a different model that didn't have the issue.

Forgive the question but how does a passive detector interfere with a remote control? Doesn't the fact it is supposedly passive mean it sits there and waits for an active beam to be sent to it? In order for it to interfere it would have to be emitting something.

Secondly, what does this detector do? If you are wanting to control stuff through the Sky box, can't you just turn it off?

That said, considering that Panasonic has begun marketing 3D TV and Sky is the only broadcaster to embrace the technology so far, you would have thought someone on the corridors of power would have suggested some checks be made on the frequencies each of them use.

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
its messy alright.. i end up not engaing 3d mode until the film is just starting.. that way i dont need to change the sky remote.. if i hold my hand over the remote that sometimes helps to.. guess its directing the remote infared towards the box.. to much infared i guess! i

ukdavej:

It was a simlar issue that first led me to this forum ages ago. I bought a Panasonic LCD and my Virgin box stopped accepting the remote commands. Turns out that the light that floods from the TV when it wass first switched on bamboozeled the remote for about 10 minutes. I tried moving the box to no avail and in the end Virgin replaced it with a different model that didn't have the issue.

Forgive the question but how does a passive detector interfere with a remote control? Doesn't the fact it is supposedly passive mean it sits there and waits for an active beam to be sent to it? In order for it to interfere it would have to be emitting something.

Secondly, what does this detector do? If you are wanting to control stuff through the Sky box, can't you just turn it off?

That said, considering that Panasonic has begun marketing 3D TV and Sky is the only broadcaster to embrace the technology so far, you would have thought someone on the corridors of power would have suggested some checks be made on the frequencies each of them use.

A

Anonymous

There is a very simple solution to this problem which I suggested in another forum and it apparently works

reprogram the Sky HD remote to work in Sky+ mode and it will still control a Sky HD box and not conflict with the TV

1 Press "TV"

2 Press and hold "Select" and "i" together until red led in remote end
flashes twice - if it doesn't flash twice then remote cannot be
reprogrammed (clone or too old)

3 Press "1"

4 Press "Select" - red led should flash twice

5 Press "Sky" and away you go

To return remote to HD mode press "2" at stage 3

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
i wonder could i set up an activity for my harmony 1100 to work like this?

davemurgatroyd:

There is a very simple solution to this problem which I suggested in another forum and it apparently works

reprogram the Sky HD remote to work in Sky+ mode and it will still control a Sky HD box and not conflict with the TV

1 Press "TV"
2 Press and hold "Select" and "i" together until red led in remote end flashes twice - if it doesn't flash twice then remote cannot be reprogrammed (clone or too old)
3 Press "1"
4 Press "Select" - red led should flash twice
5 Press "Sky" and away you go

To return remote to HD mode press "2" at stage 3

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts