Sky 1TB high-definition set-top box

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We've asked a range of tech questions - including this one - and expect answers shortly, along with date of when we'll get our hands on a box to try out! Will let you know ASAP.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
So this is on top of the new 500Gb Amstrad box that's just become available?

I do love the fact that installation is MORE for existing customers than new customers, all you have to do for existing customers is swap the box out and ring Sky to team your viewing card to the new box!

rs6mra

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Which is why as an existing customer to Sky and currently not within a contract, I have contacted them and requested a new installation in my wife's name!

The cables are already installation and initially they told me i needed the 'heist' team and i told them to go a hell and then did it all myself and bought the box!

A

Anonymous

Oooh is that a shiny new casing I see on the box ? Looks all glossy. Anyone want to buy a couple of bog-standard Sky HD boxes ?

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
You dont have to buy the box from Sky, get it from an independent installer and phone Sky yourself to swap cards.

Existing customers always get shafted.

A

Anonymous

one thing that really annoys me about sky hd, was the tuner.

You cant record 2 and watch one, you can only do one and one.

I would have thought, that they might have put another tuner in instead of increasing the hard drive.

Its nice that its getting bigger, but would be better for another tuner, imho

Thats one thing that I really liked about virgin

A

Anonymous

You can however simultaneously record 2 channels and still watch something that you've recorded previously, or watch Sky Anytime, so although it doesn't have 3 tuners, it still gives you that 3rd option, albeit in a rather limited form.

I'd rather have Sky's HD channel variety over Virgin's extra tuner personally. :)

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
Hi Gang!
Although I may be stating the obvious here, but almost anyone with a screwdriver and 20 minutes on their hands can upgrade their Sky HD box with a shiny new 1TB drive.
So unless this new wonder has a vastly improved feature set or picture/sound quality which I very much doubt, then you can just upgrade your existing box.

Just remove the old drive and connect the new one, no previous formatting required
emotion-15.gif

However it will invalidate your warranty (if you still have one), so keep the old drive handy in case you have to swap it back!
Also remember to source a SATA drive and not the old IDE type.

TRENDING THREADS