Singing the praises of the Airport Express

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Most underrated yet important part of my current set-up. Prior to buying it (in November I think) my main source of digital listening was iTunes on my MacMini, streaming Apple Lossless from my Lacie NAS to my speakers via TOS-link. I only bought it because I found one going cheap and I was eager to dip my toe into wireless streaming. But since then I think I've used the MacMini for music maybe twice, on both occasions it was to just check the rips of new CDs (my 2010 MacMini was the last to be supplied with an optical drive).

Initially I had problems with it constantly falling off my wifi, but this was remedied after giving it a fixed IP on my BT HH5. Compared to faffing with the computer, it's too easy just to load up FileBrowser Pro or Foobar 2000 on my phone and stream the same lossless files from my NAS. As for the sound quality, linked to the speakers using the mini TOS-link output just like the MacMini, I can't tell any difference whatsoever. They say its resolution tops out at 16/44, but seeing I only have about three HD albums,, along with the fact to my ears they sound exactly the same when they're downsampled to 16/44, it makes sweet-FA difference to me.

Definitely one of my better purchases. I'm not sure what the equivalent would be in the Android universe because i'm not au fait enough with BlueTooth or Chromecast audio to know which (if any) is lossless, but if like me you're roped into the Apple ecosystem and computer/NAS-based audio, this is a highly recommended no-brainer.

daveh75

As I've said time and time again, nobody should be buying into Apple Airport H/W NOW though.

It's all ancient*, and grossly overpriced priced given its age and Apple's neglect...

If you must use AirPlay, buy something like a Neet AirStream would be my advice.

* The current Express is 5 Years old and only 802.11 a/b/g/n for example, which is a problem if you actually also intend to use it to extend/repeat a network.

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I bought mine a year ago (ish) and I love it. It is only used for listening to music from iPhone, iPad, MacBook Air etc.... Simple 3.5mm to rca output being used. In all honesty, I cannot tell the difference between music played through that, and my CDs.

The turntable on the other hand does sound different. Better? Sometimes... Sometimes not - depends on quality of recording.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Never missed a beat.

+1 to Chris and the major. I have 75mbps VM cable and a so-called 'Superhub' that really isn't! I have configured it as a 'dumb', wired router to feed an Airport Extreme 802.11ac hub and an (ethernet connected) AirPort Express (latest version) used as a network extender. The S/N ratio is well above the 25dB 'satisfactory' level everywhere with constant 32 to 36dB levels in the furthest parts of our long, Edwardian house.

I have also used the AEX (via optical to my Quad Vena's DAC) for audio using AirPlay. Eventually I got the ATV3 for AirPlay audio and TV duties (the AEX only does audio albeit very well).

All of these boxes perform brilliantly (AirPort Extreme, AEX and ATV3) wirelessly and wired.

insider9

It may be, as ealier mentioned, old tech now but glad you're enjoying it, Major. The thing about tech is that irrespective of it's age it need to be fit for purpose and in your case it clearly is. It's so easy to buy the best, the newest and do-it-all devices and not to use most of their functionality. Clearly shows picking the right solution for the situation is more important than the best available any scenario.

Interesting thing is you mention BT HH5 which out of stock broadband routers was one of the better performing. In cases like that it usually is the router and not the device.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Indeed. Certainly meets my requirements.

Regarding the Neet Airstream, it was on my radar until I realised it doesn't have an ethernet connection. That was a deal breaker in my house. Every man and his dog, cat and goldfish within 100yds have wireless routers and the airwaves are flooded. I've already had to resort to rigging-up all of the house's computers via homeplugs. Even with the AEX connected by homeplug, I even still had problems with my iPhone dropping connection to it until I gave the AEX a fixed IP address in the HH5's settings. I decided it was far better to spend £45 on my 'Grade B' (damaged box) AEX than waste £30 on something which in my area might not work.

insider9

£45 that's a bargain
thumbs_up.gif

iMark

daveh75 said:
As I've said time and time again, nobody should be buying into Apple Airport H/W NOW though.

It's all ancient*, and grossly overpriced priced given its age and Apple's neglect...

If you must use AirPlay, buy something like a Neet AirStream would be my advice.

* The current Express is 5 Years old and only 802.11 a/b/g/n for example, which is a problem if you actually also intend to use it to extend/repeat a network.

AirPlay integrates perfectly with WiFi (or wired) networks. If only used for streaming music, the AirPort Express hardware, even previous models, works fine. I do agree that for regular networking there are now better options than Apple hardware. That's a great shame because the best feature is AirPort Utility which is simple software for setting up your network.

The Neet AirStream looks very interesting but I don't need anything at the moment.

Our 8 year old AirPort Express has been demoted to a second system after buying a Yamaha R-N602 with built-in AirPlay. Streaming from my Mac Mini is great and our ripped CDs (ALAC files) sound wonderful.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts