Simple, Quality, Music Streaming?

sporti

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

All suggestions welcome...

I currently have Sonos everywhere fed by an external HDD with FLAC files and love the ease of use. However I'm craving a better sound quality in my main room, I have a spare pair of speakers and am wanting to keep it very neat/simple & discrete, I was hoping to find a quality amplifier I could somehow hook up to the existing HDD, but cannot really find what I want. I do not like the Naim/Linn/Cyrus options... maybe this is my problem ;-)

I was looking at the Pathos Inpol Remix, but can't figure how to integrate with my music source...

Any advice?

Cheers.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
The best user interface and IMO the best user experience is always going to be from a computer, driving either an outboard DAC+amp or a digital amp (or even just digital active speakers directly). But whether you'd consider it simple and neat is debatable. Some of the small HTPCs certainly are neat imo, and they can work 'headless', using your phone or tablet as a display.

Other opinions are available of course but I'll always choose a computer over a streamer. Not only are computers infinitely more flexible, but when the unexpected time comes where you need it to suddenly do something you didn't plan for, there is always 'an app for that', often for free.

sporti

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Thank you!

I had no idea what an HTPC was and am still not 100% sure... the research continues. It does appear that I need some kind of interface to mate the external NAS drive with a free choice of amplifier.

Problem is that I wanted to house the amp inside a piece of furniture, which wouldn't really leave room for a pc.

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
If I was starting again on a tight budget I would get a Synology Diskstation (single disk since you already have backup on another HDD) and stream to my iPad/tablet using the DS Audio App, and connect the ipad to the amp using a high quality interconnect (Chord IChord for example).

Simple and works a treat.

Try to get over the Naim thing; the amps really are top pieces of kit and make a great used buy...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts