Simple Blu-ray audio question

Hoba1155

Mar 1, 2020
Visit site
I have what I think is a very simple question but one which hours of googling has failed to turn up an answer.

If I want to listen to a Blu-ray audio disc on my Blu-ray player connected to my amplifier/speakers (through a digital to analog converter) it would also need to go through the TV wouldn't it? In order to visually access the Blu-ray menu (to press 'play' etc)?

You can't just press play on the remote control without using a TV screen essentially?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks. I'm new to Blu-ray audio as you might have guessed.

Hoba1155

Mar 1, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. That's what I thought originally. Although I played a CD on the Blu-ray player through the amp (connected through a digital to analog converter) and it plays fine. I have a Samsung BD-F5100 Blu-ray player and a Marantz Pm5004 amplifier.

I'm more confused now as I had convinced myself that it needed to go through a TV!

Anybody else have an idea?

Thanks for the reply. That's what I thought originally. Although I played a CD on the Blu-ray player through the amp (connected through a digital to analog converter) and it plays fine. I have a Samsung BD-F5100 Blu-ray player and a Marantz Pm5004 amplifier.

I'm more confused now as I had convinced myself that it needed to go through a TV!

Anybody else have an idea?
Not too sure why you need to go via the DAC as your bluray player has done the conversation

chris661

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
Blu-ray player's onboard DAC might not be fantastic - I can imagine that taking a digital output and using even a basic outboard DAC could yield some improvements.

There's no particular need to connect the Blu-ray player to a TV, unless you need to get to something specific. For playing a CD, where you only really need play/pause, next/previous, I don't think you'll need a screen.

Chris

Hoba1155

Mar 1, 2020
Visit site
Hmm, thanks, I guess I'm doing something really simple wrong. Have just played a CD again and it plays fine. But with a Blu-ray disc, it's playing cuz you can hear it whirring but there's no sound.

D

Deleted member 108165

Hmm, thanks, I guess I'm doing something really simple wrong. Have just played a CD again and it plays fine. But with a Blu-ray disc, it's playing cuz you can hear it whirring but there's no sound.
Maybe the external DAC doesn't recognise the output file format. Try plugging the BD player direct into the amp if you can.

Hoba1155

Mar 1, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the replies I've given up for the moment and just connected the Blu-ray player through a TV into a different pair of speakers.

Blu-ray player's onboard DAC might not be fantastic - I can imagine that taking a digital output and using even a basic outboard DAC could yield some improvements.

There's no particular need to connect the Blu-ray player to a TV, unless you need to get to something specific. For playing a CD, where you only really need play/pause, next/previous, I don't think you'll need a screen.

Chris
It might not be fantastic but it's the only thing he has got that will decode bluray audio, you might be correct but does not sound like he has it connected digitally, perhaps I am wrong.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts