Simaudio moon i3.3 to drive ATC speakers?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I am a newbie in this forum and would like your advice on my new 2-channel setup. I am thinking of buying the Simaudio moon i3.3 to drive a pair of ATC speakers (either SCM 11 or SCM 19). Do you think that the amp is powerful enough to drive SCM 11 and SCM 19 well (I think SCM 11 should be fine, but not sure about SCM 19)? How would you characterise the sonic signature of the Simaudio & ATC combo? Thanks for your advice!

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i haven't heard the i3.3, but i had the i3rs with scm19s. very natural, organic sound but a little lacking in punch, imo. atc's own amps match very well with atc speakers. primare gets a lot of good owner reviews with atc, too. the scm19 is the same amp load as the scm11, so either should work as well as the other.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your info, Craig. I consider Simaudio i3.3 because it can double its power rating from 100w in 8 ohms to 200W in 4 ohms, which shows that it should have high dynamic power and current. I will also consider the ATC SIA2-150.

fwyleung said:
Hi, I am a newbie in this forum and would like your advice on my new 2-channel setup. I am thinking of buying the Simaudio moon i3.3 to drive a pair of ATC speakers (either SCM 11 or SCM 19). Do you think that the amp is powerful enough to drive SCM 11 and SCM 19 well (I think SCM 11 should be fine, but not sure about SCM 19)? How would you characterise the sonic signature of the Simaudio & ATC combo? Thanks for your advice!

Hi fwyleung

Yes, the Simaudio has good good quality power to drive SCM11 and SCM19 monitors. For years now i've often used a modestly priced (£275) /powered (50 w/ch) amplifier with SCM7, SCM11, SCM19, SCM40's etc. without any issues.

With SCM7 and SCM11 ATC offer an exceedingly good taste however its with SCM19's and above that they really start to flex their muscles. The SCM19's incorporate ATC's massive low distortion SLMT mid/bass drive unit which itself weighs more than a complete SCM11! As good as SCM11's are however SCM19's offer a big step up in performance which i feel easily helps to justify their premium. Fwiw, i feel SCM19's are probably the finest VFM bookshelf speakers currently available on the market regardless of price.

The ATC monitors with their (amongst other qualities) low distortion, flat and honest presentation will help the qualities of the Simuadio amp to shine through in a clear, uncolored and natural manner.

The SIA2-150 MK2 (with its low distortion, class A biasing up to 2/3 output, high current/damping factor etc.) is an excellent match for their passive monitors.

Btw, what source component/s will you be using?

What do you gennerally listen to?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts