Silver or copper?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I walked into my local dealer today to get some plugs then we got talking about speaker cables. I explained to him that mine (added to the CA amp) give out a somewhat-reduced level of bass it seems. Then he went "Clearwater? Lots of strands?... Silver?... we don't like silver cables much etc.".

So there we go: a quick poll and also discussion regarding what is generally considered to produce the warmer/colder/blotted/etc./etc sound...

My question #1: Would a copper cable be a better match for the Cambridge sound?

My question #2: Would a copper cable be warmer, more bassey than my current "silver" Clearwater?

A

Anonymous

1 ) Not necessarily.

2) No - for that sort of change, look to the amp or speakers.

Cables can make a small difference, but it is small and not enough to change the characteristics of a system. As you'd be aware, nothing splits the HiFi world like the great cable debate. My ears tell me a cable can't change the nature of the sound, but it can clarify certain aspects of it. It's a silk purse/sow's ear scenario.

Bearing in mind the coming depression, I'd stick with silver. At least it will be worth more if you have to melt it down and sell it!

A

Anonymous

I wonder about the lack of enthusiasm about those precious metals... Seems like it's all about vat these days! lol

Anyway, once my system kinda settles a bit, I intend to try different various types and brands, at least my runs are quite short (2 x 2-3m should be fine) so shouldn't be too expensive. And ebay's a good place to start it seems...

T

the record spot

Tarquinh:
1 )

No - for that sort of change, look to the amp or speakers.
Cables can make a small difference, but it is small and not enough to change the characteristics of a system.

Have to say I couldn't disagree more! If you took away the "small" my quibble would stop there and then, but having had the experience of removing a set of Nordost Blue Heavens and replacing them with AudioQuest Copperhead interconnects, the difference was literally like night and day.

I think replacing like with like will make a small difference (Van den Hul "The Name" with - say - QED Qunex 3) but sometimes there can be a fairly obvious shift that can make a decent impact.

That said, I would always look to the underlying tonal characteristic to be addressed by managing the selection of the source components, then the amps and speakers thereafter.

A

Anonymous

If you end up having some spare lengths of speaker wire knocking around try connecting them in parallel, as many as you can.

You might be surprised how good it sounds.

Henley

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
Clearwater? Lots of strands?... Silver?... we don't like silver cables much etc.".

Actually, it's silver plated copper and should be relatively neutral.

matthewpiano

I always thought I preferred copper but today I've upgraded my cables to Chord Company Chameleon Silver + interconnect and Chord Company Rumour 2 speaker cable. With no burn in yet, it already sounds considerably better than with my old Chord Crimson/Qed Micro combination. The sound is fuller, very consistent across the frequency range and extremely detailed without losing any of the attributes I've been enjoying since I upgraded my electronics. There is not a hint of harshness in the sound and, at this early stage in my listening, I would say this cable change has been one of the best upgrades I've ever made.

Thanks to Practial Hi-Fi for excellent advice as always.

A

Anonymous

Very similar to my upgrade last year, but I went to the Odyssey 2. Fantastic gains.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:Iggle piggle siggle plated

...you def don't want to know how that's made...
emotion-8.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts