Silver or Black?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Nope, I can't change my mind. Though I have tried. I cannot look a silver HiFi in the face(ia) without thinking it looks like some cheap plastic-fronted Amstrad stack system. Silver is so pre-1990.

A

Anonymous

Why I finally landed on Black for the Marantz is that they have a strong tradition of Champagne/Silver/Gold and Black to me felt alittle new.

I will get my Boston Speakers in a day or two but I have tested the amp with my Snell JII that are superb.

I compared it some to my Arcam Alpha 5 plus but I need more time to compare. Dont have banana plugs so switching back and forth aint fun.

The Arcam might be more dynamic sounding and hammers harder, almost like you pushed a half loudness button on the Marantz, The Volume knobb also plays a trick on the eyes, at 11 aclock on the Arcam, its more or less maximum volume while the Marantz plays clean way past 2 and then louder.

I must say that the PM 6004 is realy quite quite wonderful with Classical music!

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Erik3 said:
Why I finally landed on Black for the Marantz is that they have a strong tradition of Champagne/Silver/Gold and Black to me felt alittle new.

I will get my Boston Speakers in a day or two but I have tested the amp with my Snell JII that are superb.

I compared it some to my Arcam Alpha 5 plus but I need more time to compare. Dont have banana plugs so switching back and forth aint fun.

The Arcam might be more dynamic sounding and hammers harder, almost like you pushed a half loudness button on the Marantz, The Volume knobb also plays a trick on the eyes, at 11 aclock on the Arcam, its more or less maximum volume while the Marantz plays clean way past 2 and then louder.

I must say that the PM 6004 is realy quite quite wonderful with Classical music!

whats happening to the Snell's? If your not keeping them I know someone who would give them a very good home!

A

Anonymous

whats happening to the Snell's? If your not keeping them I know someone who would give them a very good home!

[/quote]

I bet you do, smile but sorry I aint never selling them. I use them in my livingroom while I have built another house next to the mainhouse for my Violin making and other things in wood, I got the Marantz and the Boston to keep me company there since i up today have had comapny of a kassetplayer radio from the 80's.

PS Audio Note have the blueprints for the original Snells K, J and E and can be bought new today. Not cheap though but maybe even improved. Forsure the variaty of finishes one can get them in.

Erik3 said:
Not the most technical question :? but I cant decide on what color to get on a new amp.

I think some look better in Silver then in Black and vise versa but with this amp, the Marantz PM 6004 I cant make up my mind.

Whats your take in this case? feel free to share.

Hi Erik3

I generally prefer black finish with exception being Densen Audio Technologies Albino silver finish (with red dot matrix display) and Chord Electronics Choral Series brilliant silver finish (with red internal light). These silver finishes look stunning
smiley-cool.gif

http://densen.dk/index.php?page=densen-b-175

http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/products-info.asp?id=39

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Whatever works in the room.

As someone mentioned, to me, black is very 90's. I'm lazy and it also shows dust much more, so I'd generally choose silver (or champagne gold). Wouldn't be averse to them incorporating a bit of timber into the design, either.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
ID. said:
Whatever works in the room.

As someone mentioned, to me, black is very 90's. I'm lazy and it also shows dust much more, so I'd generally choose silver (or champagne gold). Wouldn't be averse to them incorporating a bit of timber into the design, either.

Champanhe Gold is very Denon, with timber ( on the sides) is very Yamaha... It is classy but... Huummm NAaaaa!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts