silly itunes question

coolaboola

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
ok,so my 6 year old laptop went bang.I had my 100gb of lossless itunes music files backed up on hard disk.I have bought a hp netbook and transferred all the music on to it from an external hard drive.Now for the annoying bit.My cambridge audio dac magic reailses it exists but when i play something from itunes it comes from the netbook speakers.please help.

A

Anonymous

Try checking....control panel....sounds...... and make sure the dac is selected as default device. You will have to restart itunes after making any changes, itunes doesnt seem to be able to recognise some changes with out a restart

A

Anonymous

coolaboola:ok,so my 6 year old laptop went bang.I had my 100gb of lossless itunes music files backed up on hard disk.I have bought a hp netbook and transferred all the music on to it from an external hard drive.Now for the annoying bit.My cambridge audio dac magic reailses it exists but when i play something from itunes it comes from the netbook speakers.please help.

Could you please clarify because the DM is a passive device and I cant see how it can recognise anything except a valid data stream....

coolaboola

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
I've checked all my connections.When i switch the input on my dac to optical my cd player plays thru my amp.When i change dac input to usb and unplug and plug in the usb cable on the net book the blue led light briefly flashes at the 'incoming sample rate' series of lights.My xp laptop was plug and play, i think i need to activate something with this windows 7 thing.To add into the bargain my clunky fingers have hit a button on these small keys that gives me this slanty text.Apart from that this little net book is great.thanks for your patience ray.

knacker

Dec 19, 2007
Visit site
Coola

if you check the sounds in WIn 7, what is the listed default output? It needs to be the C-media output- sometimes it's called the C-media Headphone

Let me know

p.s. Ctrl+i will get rid of yout italic problem

A

Anonymous

Windows 7...that would have been my next question....Check control panel / sounds and make sure the DM is in there as a
device (it probably wont be called Dacmagic but should be listed as a soundcard or something..memory fails me) and select as default. Have you tried the USB port with another device, a printer or something...

EDIT...knacker beat me to it...note to self....must be quicker on the Post button....
emotion-1.gif

coolaboola

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
This is driving me nuts.I set the device as instructed.It does appear as c-media.Now though when i plug in the usb the sound stops from the netbook speakers but still doesn't come thru my hifi.I closed down itunes and restarted it and still zip,nada.unplug the usb and tunes come from laptop speakers.dacmagic was plug and play on my old xp laptop do i need a driver or something?thanks in advance.

A

Anonymous

No driver required. Now that you have the DM selected as default are you getting the input sample LED light up?

coolaboola

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
no lights.just an initial split sec flash when i plug in usb.press the source button on dac down from usb to optical where my cambridge audio 540 cd player is plugged into and the light is constant.this is starting to turn from silly itunes question to serious dacmagic question.by the way that looks like a cheeky staff on your avatar.

A

Anonymous

Got me beat....if the DM is seen in control panel I think its safe to assume that you connection from PC to DM is working and as the DM was working on your old laptop chances are theres nothing wrong with that either. The only suggestion I have left is to check yoru sound output settings and make sure they are set to something the DM can recognise.....certainly not surround sound. (control panel/sounds/select device/advance and start off at CD quality) Also worth checking the quick time audio setting to make sure they are OK as that is what itunes uses to output sound. Apart from that my friend ...I'm done cos I cant think of anything else.

Thanks for the comment on the avatar...yes you are right, as cheeky as they come and daft as a brush.

coolaboola

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
ok lads,problem solved.Listening to itunes thru my ca840 amp and ma rs1 speakers.I looked on cambridge audios website under support.

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/sts/faqs_view.php?FAQID=191&Question=Compatibility+with+Windows+7%3F%0D%0AMy+DacMagic+doesn't+seem+to+work+with+Windows+7+over+USB.++Is+the+DacMagic+compatible+with+Windows+7%3F

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/sts/f....++Is+the+DacMagic+compatible+with+Windows+7?This what I found.remember to have dac connected via usb.When pc restarts you still have to go in to control panel , sounds and activate the new icon.

I wish i had titled this 'dacmagic with windows 7'.I really am not techie but this could defo help other people.Now I'm chuffed and off to listen to some music.Thanks again those who made suggestions because that got me familiar with navigating around my unfamiliar new netbook.

davydmx

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
Hey, glad you've sorted the iTunes issue. Can i recommend that, once you've started getting your library into a tidy, organised state, you then bring Foobar, with WASAPI, into the picture!

Just a simple matter of 'pointing' Foobar at your, hopefully, organised iTunes library.

The sq of Foobar/WASAPI, and the convenience of iTunes. Perfect!

coolaboola

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
thanks davydmx.is the sound quality significantly better with foobar?does win 7 need adjustments with the kmixer thingy and if i tried foobar/wasapi is it easy to go back to itunes?Lots of questions I know.My next target on my list was an airport express but there is a tonne of great threads covering all the bases on this site to help with any potential glitches.Would the airport express carry foobar or would I need some aerofoil.

davydmx

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
Yes, Foobar, with WASAPI(or Kernal Streaming) plug-in is a must have on pc! It bypasses all that Kmixer stuff in Windows, and delivers bit-perfect audio signal to your dac(provided your digital connection, from computer to dac, maintains the 'integrity' of the data).

Sounds allround better than iTunes to me, but notably, the bass is so much tighter and extended!

iTunes by comparison, isn't bit-perfect on pc. Though it is on mac, so maybe ideal there!

As i mentioned before, i truely believe in using iTunes/Foobar 'piggyback' on pc. I love iTunes straightfowardness, ease of editing album details, embedding album art, creating playlists of AAC files for iPod Touch, handling audiobooks, etc, etc, etc. So my music collection 'lives' inside of iTunes, a place that's GREAT for keeping my collection tidy!

Once your library's nicely organised, you then install Foobar and all it's plug-ins. Then it's just a matter of specifying in Foobar, the location of your music. Foobar will 'see' all of your collection, complete with album art, the works. Not been able to make it see iTunes playlists however, though it's easy to create some Foobar playlists.

And of course, you can fire up Foobar OR iTunes when you want to play your collection.

Regarding Airport Express, maybe someone knowledgeable on them can help you with that! I'm seriously considering the MTech Hi-face, with a quality digital co-axial lead, into my Dacmagic. My Wireworld Ultraviolet Usb cable is fantastic, but the MTech interface, with it's anti-jitter circuit, sounds even better!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts