Silent running

• Thread starter Deleted member 108165
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 108165

Hope the drive motors are built to last on Marantz turntables. I discovered today that I forgot to turn mine off on Christmas eve *shok* It's been running 24/7 for the last 11 days *fool* It's not the first time, but this is the longest. It certainly is a quiet drive motor.

I blame my ageing eyesight, everytning is a blur now without my specs on. I must look at fitting some kind of an indicator on the drive spindle to let me know when it's still spinning, or maybe a psychedelic platter mat.

DougK said:
Hope the drive motors are built to last on Marantz turntables. I discovered today that I forgot to turn mine off on Christmas eve *shok* It's been running 24/7 for the last 11 days *fool* It's not the first time, but this is the longest. It certainly is a quiet drive motor.

I blame my ageing eyesight, everytning is a blur now without my specs on. I must look at fitting some kind of an indicator on the drive spindle to let me know when it's still spinning, or maybe a psychedelic platter mat.

You could just leave an LP on the platter or tipex a white line down the side of platter..... just a thought , or as I do, make a point of turning everything off at the mains socket after a listening session.

On the plus side I doubt any damage has been done appart from increase your electricity bill. ;-)

I have my marantz turntable backlit in the evening, it's also directly in front of me, just under the tv screen. Is yours tucked away in a darkened corner of the castle?

The motors are whisper quiet, yours should be nicely run in now.

D

Deleted member 108165

Al ears said:
You could just leave an LP on the platter or tipex a white line down the side of platter..... just a thought , or as I do, make a point of turning everything off at the mains socket after a listening session.

On the plus side I doubt any damage has been done appart from increase your electricity bill. ;-)

Just felt like a bit of a plonker Al. Good idea re leaving an LP on the platter, hadn't thought of that, I do have a trashed LP which could do the job nicely. *good*

D

Deleted member 108165

bigfish786 said:
I have my marantz turntable backlit in the evening, it's also directly in front of me, just under the tv screen. Is yours tucked away in a darkened corner of the castle?

The motors are whisper quiet, yours should be nicely run in now.

Spot-on bigfish, yep, darkened corner of the room. I've rigged a circular daisy chain of blue led's under mine but they're fed from a different power source. I was quite surprised that the motor was only just warm to the touch. Cracking turntable, I owe you a pint or two for opening my eyes to these. *good*

FE39E933-4CDC-4615-8C64-4637788130A7.jpg

D

Deleted member 108165

Paul. said:
I was going to be about the sci fi silent running!

This is the [ahem] turntable section my friend... *smile*

Would those strobe discs that we used to use be any help? About the diameter of the label.

I would not worry about a few days. When I worked at a hifi shop we had most tts on ten hours a day every day. Never stopped working!

D

Deleted member 108165

bigfish786 said:
That does look very good. Almost macintosh in colour.

Yep, it's my camera that thinks it's green, it's more the colour of the reflection on the unit... nice bright neon blue.

D

Deleted member 108165

Another very helpful reply, many thanks nopiano *good*

D

Deleted member 108165

MajorFubar said:
surely you stop it to take the record off and only switch it on after you've put a record on the platter.

That would be a no *blush*

D

Deleted member 108165

bigfish786 said:
I stop mine every time to take it off.

Took me a good few minutes to pry an album off this afternoon

(it was a very tight fit)

I've had the same problem multiple times, the spindle on the Marantz is definitely a little on the girthy side, giving zero tolerance to undersized spindle holes. I bought a 7.3mm drill bit to ream-out the tight ones.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts