Silent Running Blu-ray £3.99 at Amazon????

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Bizarre price for a fully remastered sci-fi classic Blu-ray pre-order, with an excellent technical write-up on blu-ray.com.

I genuinely don't understand the pricing and stumbled upon the deal while reading the blu-ray.com review. To be honest, I probably wouldn't have bought it at a much higher price, but this hippy sci-fi drama has high nostalgia value and seems a no-brainer at £3.99.

Fans of the film should get straight in there at this price! :grin:

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Of course that should be "hippie" sci-fi drama. Spelling errors aside, I wonder if the price is a mistake by Amazon, as the steelbook edition costs three times as much? If so, presumably Amazon has to honour that price?

I feel a little sorry for Eureka Entertainment if they lose money on this, since I've bought several of their Masters of Cinema series titles. They do a stellar job remastering classic films (check out City Girl, Sunrise, or Make Way for Tomrrow, for example) and the MOC series is as close as we get in Region 2 to the dedicated film restoration/preservation work conducted by Criterion.

proffski

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Amazing cult film when it was first released and deserving much more fame than it already has amongst dedicated SF fans.

A true classic worthy of any collection, indeed an essential part of any SF collection! Thank you for drawing it to my attention gentlemen. Now how about "Dark Star" with the same treatment?

proffski

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
It seems that Amazon get the agreed price for a product irrespective for what they sell it for, even if at a loss.

Just like presently losing $50 on each Kindle Fire as well as the iPad!

Their choice but I'm not complaining! ;)

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
proffski said:
Now how about "Dark Star" with the same treatment?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dark-Star-Blu-ray/dp/B005DRNXS6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318171991&sr=8-1

Of course we'll have to see how good/bad the transfer is (and unfortunately you'll have to pay more than £3.99).

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
Spelling errors aside, I wonder if the price is a mistake by Amazon, as the steelbook edition costs three times as much? If so, presumably Amazon has to honour that price?

Just to forewarn you, they don't have to honour that price if it's a mistake. If you read their Ts and Cs, you'll see a contract isn't entered into until they dispatch the item - once that's happened, then they're legally obliged to fulfill the price you ordered at. Before that, they can if they choose to cancel the order.

That's not to say they will, but just to set your expectations at the correct level.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
professorhat said:
strapped for cash said:
Spelling errors aside, I wonder if the price is a mistake by Amazon, as the steelbook edition costs three times as much? If so, presumably Amazon has to honour that price?

Just to forewarn you, they don't have to honour that price if it's a mistake. If you read their Ts and Cs, you'll see a contract isn't entered into until they dispatch the item - once that's happened, then they're legally obliged to fulfill the price you ordered at. Before that, they can if they choose to cancel the order.

That's not to say they will, but just to set your expectations at the correct level.

Cheers Prof. We'll see. It's released on Friday, so hopefully it'll be dispatched by then without notification of price change. I have to say, the price makes little sense. Consider my expectation levels duly moderated.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Don't know this film, is it comparable to anything else?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Don't know this film, is it comparable to anything else?

Er, a bit like Moon crossed with Wall E, directed by one of 2001's special effects maestros, featuring songs from Joan Baez, a trio of robots, and a watering can.

To be honest, I've only seen this once, a very long time ago. I recall being quite moved, though I was six years old. I can still remember the ending, at least I think I can.

I'm not sure that made things any clearer...

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Thanks for trying, but don't know Moon, so no, not really any clearer
smile.png

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Well, the Amazon price is back up to £12.93. Not sure what that means for those that pre-ordered at £3.99.

According to MOC, this is the best selling Blu-ray title on Amazon this week!

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Certainly still saying £3.99 in 'my account', so fingers crossed Amazon take one for a good bit of PR! Thanks for the tip Strapped :)

No worries! My account still shows a £3.99 purchase price as well.

Large sales numbers may deter Amazon from demanding more from customers or cancelling orders (assuming they can do either of those things). The price reversion certainly indicates this was a mistake.

We'll see. I'm certain the Blu-ray wouldn't have sold in such quantities at £12.93.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I think you're right on all counts. They make a big thing that if the price goes down after a pre-order you'll get the lower price, but I'm not aware of a general policy in this sort of situation. I would expect them to let customers know early rather than leave it to the last minute if they did intend to increase the price.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Just interested to know if anyone who pre-ordered at £3.99 has been updated that the Blu-ray has shipped? I've had no notification of price change or cancellation, but no dispatch notice either.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
BenLaw said:
I think you're right on all counts. They make a big thing that if the price goes down after a pre-order you'll get the lower price, but I'm not aware of a general policy in this sort of situation. I would expect them to let customers know early rather than leave it to the last minute if they did intend to increase the price.

Well according to the Pre-order guarantee blurb on Amazon (assuming the Pre-order Guarantee was mentioned when you ordered):

"Whenever you pre-order .....the price you pay will be the lowest price offered by Amazon.co.uk between the time you placed your order and up to and including the release date."

Here's hoping for all of you! If they don't honour the price and you were given the Pre-order blurb, point them to this page.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
BenLaw said:

Well according to the Pre-order guarantee blurb on Amazon (assuming the Pre-order Guarantee was mentioned when you ordered):

"Whenever you pre-order .....the price you pay will be the lowest price offered by Amazon.co.uk between the time you placed your order and up to and including the release date."

Here's hoping for all of you! If they don't honour the price and you were given the Pre-order blurb, point them to this page.

Thanks Clare. That's my interpretation as well. In principle, anyone that pre-ordered before the price drop should also pay £3.99 (though perhaps like me they'd feel a little guilty about it).

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
BenLaw said:

Thanks Clare :) I rather assumed / hoped that would be the case, but probably the sort of thing I would only have checked when I got angry if they tried to charge me more ;)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

strapped for cash said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Not released until 14th November

Yep, my mistake!

I normally pride myself on attention to detail. I've been a busy fella of late, at leat that's my excuse...
smiley-embarassed.gif

Oh dear, it's not going well is it.
smile.png

chelstondave

May 23, 2010
Visit site
oh well....

Dear Customer

We are writing to inform you that the price for the item

Silent Running (1971) (Masters of Cinema) [Blu-ray] - Asin: B005DE1G2Y

was displayed incorrectly at the time you placed the above referenced order.

Despite our best efforts, with the millions of items available on our website, pricing errors can occasionally occur.

In our Pricing and Availability Policy (see http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=1040614), we state that where an item's correct price is higher than our stated price, we contact the customer before dispatching.

All affected orders have now been cancelled. If you still wish to purchase this item, please place a new order online as from tomorrow, which will be charged at the correct price, when we dispatch it to you.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by this error, and rest assured that we will continue to make every effort to maintain the accuracy of all prices on our site.

We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Warmest regards,

chelstondave

May 23, 2010
Visit site
oh well....

Dear Customer

We are writing to inform you that the price for the item

Silent Running (1971) (Masters of Cinema) [Blu-ray] - Asin: B005DE1G2Y

was displayed incorrectly at the time you placed the above referenced order.

Despite our best efforts, with the millions of items available on our website, pricing errors can occasionally occur.

In our Pricing and Availability Policy (see http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=1040614), we state that where an item's correct price is higher than our stated price, we contact the customer before dispatching.

All affected orders have now been cancelled. If you still wish to purchase this item, please place a new order online as from tomorrow, which will be charged at the correct price, when we dispatch it to you.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by this error, and rest assured that we will continue to make every effort to maintain the accuracy of all prices on our site.

We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Warmest regards,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts