Silent Running Blu-ray £3.99 at Amazon????

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

chelstondave

May 23, 2010
Visit site
oh well..

Dear Customer

We are writing to inform you that the price for the item

Silent Running (1971) (Masters of Cinema) [Blu-ray] - Asin: B005DE1G2Y

was displayed incorrectly at the time you placed the above referenced order.

Despite our best efforts, with the millions of items available on our website, pricing errors can occasionally occur.

In our Pricing and Availability Policy (see http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=1040614), we state that where an item's correct price is higher than our stated price, we contact the customer before dispatching.

All affected orders have now been cancelled. If you still wish to purchase this item, please place a new order online as from tomorrow, which will be charged at the correct price, when we dispatch it to you.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by this error, and rest assured that we will continue to make every effort to maintain the accuracy of all prices on our site.

We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Warmest regards,

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Just received an email from Amazon stating that due to a pricing error my order has been cancelled. I'm not sure of the legality of this, but I'm not surprised either.

I assume others that ordered at £3.99 received the same email.

Paul.

My favourite band 65daysofstatic did a live Soundtrack to this movie at the Glasgow film festival. After a crowd funding projects its finally being released soon, can't wait!

http://www.65daysofstatic.com/blog/2010/10/29/silent-running/

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Same here strapped: :(

"Dear Customer

We are writing to inform you that the price for the item

Silent Running (1971) (Masters of Cinema) [Blu-ray]   - Asin: B005DE1G2Y

was displayed incorrectly at the time  you placed the above referenced order.

Despite our best efforts, with the millions of items available on our website, pricing errors can occasionally occur.

In our Pricing and Availability Policy (see http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=1040614), we state that where an item's correct price is higher than our stated price, we contact the customer before dispatching.

All affected orders have now been cancelled. If you still wish to purchase this item, please place a new order online as from tomorrow, which will be charged at the correct price, when we dispatch it to you.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by this error, and rest assured that we will continue to make every effort to maintain the accuracy of all prices on our site.

We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Warmest regards,

Customer Service Department
Amazon.co.uk

Please note: This e-mail was sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail.  Please do not reply to this message."

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Oh well, I'm guessing this is no longer Amazon's best-selling Blu-ray title for October (I wonder how many cancellations have been issued). Since I've not seen the film in approximately thirty years, I don't intend to order again at the full price. I Think I'll pre-order the Touch of Evil Blu-ray instead...

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Clare Newsome said:
BenLaw said:
I think you're right on all counts. They make a big thing that if the price goes down after a pre-order you'll get the lower price, but I'm not aware of a general policy in this sort of situation. I would expect them to let customers know early rather than leave it to the last minute if they did intend to increase the price.

Well according to the Pre-order guarantee blurb on Amazon (assuming the Pre-order Guarantee was mentioned when you ordered):

"Whenever you pre-order .....the price you pay will be the lowest price offered by Amazon.co.uk between the time you placed your order and up to and including the release date."

Here's hoping for all of you! If they don't honour the price and you were given the Pre-order blurb, point them to this page.

They cancelled my order too. Does anyone here feel like challenging Amazon as I personally think they are on dodgy legal ground with this one, and from what Clare has noted above, I think they should be obliged to sell at the price we bought it at.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
If you click on the link from their email (quoted in my earlier post) the 'incorrect pricing' blurb immediately precedes the 'pre-order price' blurb in their conditions, so unfortunately I think they're probably on fairly strong ground, although it is galling that it is up to them simply to declare that a price was incorrect. Having said that, the whole premise of this thread was that we all thought this was an incorrectly low price we might be able to exploit. However, if people want to have a go I'm more than happy to join in and see what response we get.

As campaigning consumer journalists, do WHF fancy taking up the baton? :)

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
It's not dodgy legal ground because their Ts and Cs clearly state that Amazon can cancel an order for any reason prior to dispatch (for this very reason). Imagine if someone accidentally put up this HP server at £150 instead of £15,000. Hundreds of people order it at this price and suddenly they stand to lose millions of pounds!

It's no different in a shop - if an item is priced incorrectly and you go up to the checkout to buy it, they have no legal obligation to meet that price and sell it to you. In fact, a shop has no legal obligation to sell you anything if they don't want to.

**EDIT - for clarification, here's the section BenLaw was talking about in his post:

What we do about mispricings

Despite our best efforts, a small number of the more than 1.5 million items in our catalogue are mispriced. Rest assured, however, that we verify prices as part of our dispatch procedures.

If an item's correct price is lower than our stated price, we charge the lower amount and send you the item.

If a product's correct price is higher than our stated price, we will cancel your order and notify you of that cancellation.

Please note that this policy applies only to products sold and shipped by Amazon.co.uk.

Pre-Order Price Guarantee

For items with a future release date, the Amazon.co.uk price may change between the time of order and the date the item is dispatched. We do not charge you until we dispatch an item; therefore, when you pre-order selected books, CDs, videos, DVDs, pieces of software or video games, you will be charged the lowest price offered by Amazon.co.uk between the time the order was placed and the item's release date.

If the price is lowered on the release date and your order has already been dispatched, we will automatically refund the difference between the price you were charged and the release-date price. Pre-order Price Guarantee only applies to items displaying the Pre-order Price Guarantee offer on the product detail page. Terms and Conditions apply.

Pre-order Price Guarantee does not apply in the case of mispricing, described earlier on this page.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

help.gif

Well, it was just an idea.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts