Signal strength Vs Signal quality - advice please

bob.g

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I am struggling to improve the quality of Freeview reception to minimise pixellation and blocking, and have recently installed a new Yagi 18 aerial and mast top amplifier. Note: I live in a nominally strong signal area but need to look at the transmitter through a mass of trees.

I now have an improved signal strength of 70% and signal quality of 100%, and have a much better picture with much less pixellation.

However this set me to think that, in relation to digital television signals, I don't really understand the difference between signal strength and signal quality. Can somebody help me please ?

Andrew17321

Nov 12, 2008
Visit site
Hi

The signal strength is exactly what it says I gather that a consistent 70% is just fine. (Showing 100% can actually be overloading the tuner.)

Signal quality measures how much error correcting the tuner is doing. At 100% it is doing none! The ideal case. (Low figures here are often due to poor aerial or aerial wire or conncetions. So your new installation has been done well!)

In summary: 70% SS and 100% SQ on the main channels are pretty good, you do not need to do any more improvements.

Andrew

bob.g

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Andrew, thanks for the explanation. I still have occasional pixellation, which I guess I will have to accept as I think it is caused as the blocking trees move and sometimes do so in such a way as to reduce the signal strength. I haven't had the opportunity to monitor the signal condition in rainy weather yet !

When I replaced the aerials I was careful to use all new cables and components and took great care with the connections, ensuring adequate use of silicone grease and self amalgating tape, because as for most aerials lack of easy access means that it's not a job you want to tackle too often !

Thanks again

Andrew17321

Nov 12, 2008
Visit site
Bob

If the tree problem gets you down you might consider a dish for FreeSat. I had to take that route because of hills in the way in analogue days (though I can receive Freeview now as the signal power has been increased). My FreeSat signal has always been perfect. Besides, I can get Classic FM on FreeSat at much better quality than DAB.

Andrew

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Have Sky now but if i was going to spend money on a new aerial set up i would have gone down the Freesat HD route. More room for channels to be added etc. But then you have the disadvantage of another box in the living room Vs Freeview.
Great question and one i was looking for an answer on as my Sky box is 100% strength, 80-90% Quality.Connection check first then.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts