Shure Aonic Adapters (turn old Shure Wireless)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Hi - I need some new inears for running. As I'm now USB-C tied I need to look (sadly) as wireless. I've a big concern re wireless falling out, so came across the following Shure True Wireless Adapter for Sound Isolating Earphones, Secure Over-Ear Fit, Bluetooth 5 Wireless Technology, Long Battery Life With Charging Case, Fingertip Controls: Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments

I know Shure has really botched its foray into bluetooth, with the BT kit previously - but has anyone used these? The idea of using existing 535s is great, as is the over-ear loop which makes me think they'll be more secure. Anyone have any experience they'd care to share? thanks!

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
give this thread has generated such interest (!), I thought I'd give an update. I've had these for a year. And really, really dislike them. Sound is fine (in fact, after a week, I was impressed with the 215s but more impressed with the tranmitters and was going to buy some new 535s to connect to them adapters instead). But... then the drop-outs started.

Not at home, but most times I leave the house, they suffer and stutter. I sent them back and the (really helpful) engineer couldn't replicate the issue in the workshop, so he sent new adapters.

After a bit, the same issue presented. I'm not sure if it's just rubbish Shure kit, or my phone is particularly poor (samsung s20). Work are upgrading my phone in a few months, so will check with a different device.

If not, I'll be back to see what the alternative is...

Reactions: Al ears

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
So because you’re all so interested(!), I’m popping in for a periodic update. These Shure adaptors, and the new version sent, both did the same thing: Stuttering and dropping out.

It happened very occasionally in my area of SW London, but when I travel into London? Absolute nightmare – particularly in train stations. I normally travel into Liverpool St or Victoria by tube, depending on where I’m working on a given day. Liverpool St is the worst, but Victoria is a close second. Walking across the main station floor, one end to the other, the sound would drop out between 50 and 200 times. Sometimes multiple times per second. This happened on the old phone (Samsung S20 and on the new one Samsung S22+). Without fail – even on days when there was an overland train strike and very few passengers in either, it still cut out a LOT.

Victoria was better – perhaps 20-30 drop outs per visit, but still unacceptable.

This was using streamed music (Amazon Music, Radio Paradise, BBC Sounds) or downloaded music Amazon.

I would sell the Shure Aonic 215, but why inflict this on someone else? They’re now my running earphones.

I then bought Campfire Orbit wireless. These are really, really good. First off – the connectivity. Not quite zero issues – it’s stuttered maybe 3 times total in 5 visits to Liverpool St and once at Victoria, but that is the sort of failure I can happily live with. The sound is fantastic too – wide sound stage, clear detail. There’s an app too, and you can refine the settings to match your taste. I’ve only had them a fortnight, so not experimented fully. Are there gripes? Minor ones – it’s quite hard to pinch the IEM out of the case as there’s little protruding material to grip – which has led to me dropping them twice; and I’ve had a failure of one ear to connect twice so far (but pop it back into the case, and try again – fine). There’s also no noise cancelling, but I’ve never wanted that – I prefer a tight seal to the cabin-pressure of ANC. And they’re a lot easier to quickly remove/reinsert than the Shure, so the invariable “speak to someone in the shop” is a lot easier to navigate.

Review of Shure:

Sound 7/10

Design – bit odd, but secure – 7/10

Ease of living with – 0/10

Review of Campfire Orbit:

Sound 9/10

Design – acquired taste, hard to remove from case, buds are LARGE – 7/10

Ease of living with – 10/10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts