Should I wait?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
At present I have a 28" CRT which is really good apart from a couple of faint lines which show up on a dark background. I was going to get a Panasonic 32LXD700 but have read (on another forum) someone saying he will only keep this TV for about 3 years as by this time technology will have moved on so far that there will be even better LCDs. Whilst I appreciate I will never 'keep up with technology' as things will always improve, I cannot afford to keep changing my TV and want to invest in one which will last for many years. So should I go for a 32" LCD now or wait until they 'get better'?

A

Anonymous

At this rate that Asteroid will hi the Earth before you decide to get your new TV.

Technology is always changing.....they're now talking about Laser Televisions and Barratts are talking about building 3 Bedroom House on Mars next Year......OK the last bit is not true!

The Panny 32LXD700 is a lovely TV.........Go and buy it and enjoy the specatacle, but not before you give your Cat some Whiskas!

A

Anonymous

Hee hee! You cheeky sod!!!!

The reason I am so cautious is I don't have a lot of money so this is a considered purchase. Ok maybe a little too considered!!!!

I know that technology is always changing and that I will never keep up but I just didn't want to get a TV just now and then find that six months down the line they are better and cheaper!

A

Anonymous

Nah - that won't happen.

It usually occurs after only 3 months !!

Tvs have gone the way of computers - dont hang about or you will never buy. There is always omething better and cheaper round the corner

A

Anonymous

Very true! Think I will go for the LXD700 and then just not look at any more reviews etc.

I am waiting to see if a local retailer gets the free 5 year guarantee offer back as would prefer to buy locally.

Thanks both!

A

Anonymous

Cramptonandmoore.co.uk : £849.00 inc a 3 Year Warranty

Dixons: £769.00

Soundandvision.co.uk £772.00

Panasonic and the Panasonic shops have stopped giving out 5 Year Warranties on their TV's

PS: Hurry or Barratts will beat you to it!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Tallyho"]
Cramptonandmoore.co.uk : £849.00 inc a 3 Year Warranty

Dixons: £769.00

Soundandvision.co.uk £772.00

Panasonic and the Panasonic shops have stopped giving out 5 Year Warranties on their TV's

PS: Hurry or Barratts will beat you to it!

[/quote]

Cheers for that Tallyho.

The Panasonic rep told my local retailer that the 5 year warranty should be available again in Oct? Apparently they only do this as promotions now.

Better get in touch with Barrats in case the Asteroid hits!!!

A

Anonymous

Why don't you also consider the TH37PX70 is you have room for it. It's a Panasonic Plasma and in my humble opinion a much nicer TV than the more expensive LCD.

You can get this for around £700 at the moment.The colours and blacks are lovely and it really does also shine with Standard Definition TV.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
With TALLYHO on this one, if you have the room the Plasma is a far better tv. If you are unsure about Plasma check out the info here http://www.plasma-lcd-facts.co.uk/ I think you may find the results most interesting seeing as all the sales advisors in places like Currys all seam to be programed to say LCD LCD LCD repeatedly when you ask about a tv.

A

Anonymous

I was looking at this one but really don't think I have the room for it I'm afraid.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Plenty big enough for the 37"" Plasma. My bedroom is about the same size and I have my old 42"" Plasma in there and it fine and thats a old non-HD jobbie.

A

Anonymous

I like my TV in the corner of the room and thought the measurements for the 37" seemed to big.

Will be sitting about 8ft away.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
The physical differnce in the size of a 32"" and a 37"" is not as big as you may imagine but I think you will benifit greatly from the 37"" being a plasma as I believe it gives a much more natural looking picture and at 8ft will look great. I thought all women always wanted those extra inches where it counts? TV size naturally before you dirty minded lot get the wrong idea LOL.

A

Anonymous

Listen....you and the Cat will be just fine watching it from 8ft away in the corner of your room.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="D.J.KRIME"]I dont sit that much futher away and my set is 50""[/quote]

How far do you sit from your 50"? I am trying to choose between Pioneer 428 and 528 with a viewing distance of around 9ft main seat 7.5ft for seat used less often -mainly SD -what do you think?

(I do have this on another thread)

A

Anonymous

Do you watch much SD?

My concern is that it will be great (50") for DVD but, not having or intending to get shortly, Sky HD, in real terms most of the time we will be watching freeview, and the quality will not be great, maybe not a match to my excellent Toshiba 33" CRT (4:3).

Its a lot of money to spend if its only great for Saturday night movie, and not as good for all the make-over and news programmes etc watched during the week!!!

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I still use my non-HD Sky+ box connected via a RGB QED SQUART and the picture is very good for a set of this size and that includes all those awfull soaps like Eastenders that my Wife watches.

A

Anonymous

I don't know...still wary of taking the plunge..42 -will always think it would have been more impactive if 50, 50 -what if pic quality is not as good....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts