Should I use a DAC?

n4d5

Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
I want to use my iPhone 6 plus and MacBook Pro as a source to my Plinius 9200 Amplifier. At present I connect both sources via a 3.5mm jack to phono lead to the cd input of the amp.

What I'm hearing or feeling is the music doesn't sound right it kinda sounds weak and dull or flat... I was wondering is this the best way to connect these two sources to my amplifier?

What other alternative can I try ? Will I gain any benefit of using a DAC? If so which DAC ? I don't have a budget at present to be honest

Music I listen to varies from classical, trance, rock, r&b, etc.

Please let me know your thoughts....

Thanks

SteveR750

Yes it will. Try a cambridge audio DAC 100, or beytter still a used one off ebay (the dacmagic plus has a headphone amp too, and used should be around £200, almost all examples are in almost as new condition as folk tend to look after their gear). Try that, and if you think it's worth it, then you've got a reference starting point if you want to try something more exotic. Beware though, DACs make a big difference above a fairly low £ threshold, after which the curve flattens out a lot.

rainsoothe

Steve is right, DACs WILL make a huge difference. Indeed you could try with a second hand one, or, even better, maybe you can get a home demo from a local dealer (or find an online shop that does full refunds, so you can trial a DAC in your system, in your own home). Since you own such high-end gear, you should know you'll need a good source to make it shine. You should look at the likes of NAD M51, M2Tech Young DAC (which can later be upgraded with the Palmer supply), Simaudio Moon 300D V2, Naim DAC V1, Chord Hugo, or even stretch to stuff like Auralic Vega.

rainsoothe

Oh, 2 more thoughts:

1. I hope you're playing losless files (FLAC or ALAC/AIFF if you're using iTunes), or at least 320kbps mp3. If not, this is the first upgrade you should be making.

2. Since you're using iPhone and MacBook Pro, you might simplify the connectivity by geting and Apple TV device and use it's optical out to a DAC. Now here comes an addendum to my previous post: cheaper DACs you could look at are Simaudio Moon 100D, Arcam iRDac, Nad D1050, Micromega MyDac.

3. Another way of doing this would be to look at a dedicated streamer - Pioneer N50A, Arcam CDS27 (no reviews on this, but should be at least decent) or the more premium Primare NP30, Naim ND5XS or something of the Linna Majik variety (not familiar with these).

P.S.: what's the rest of your setup and room size?

And, last but not least, whatever you decide, try to audition before you buy. Audition, audition, audition.

iMark

I agree with most things rainsoothe says. Except for his recommendation for the Apple TV. I would recommend the Airport Express because it doesn't need to do any resampling of Apple Lossless files (16/44.1) if the files come from CDs.

We think the combination of Apple Lossless files, an Airport Express and Cambridge Audio DACMagic is great. We've had it since 2010.

A decicated streamer that supports AirPlay is another very good suggestion.

jjbomber

I would use a Naim UnitiQute2 as a pre-amp, docking station, streamer thingy. The phone would connect via the front USB or even Bluetooth if need be. The PC files could be streamed direct. For a hardwire connection, I would buy a Turtle Beach Micro II and an optical cable. It certainly won't br dull and flat.

Matthew8888

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
n4d5 said:
music doesn't sound right it kinda sounds weak and dull or flat...

Before spending money on a dac I have a couple of suggestions.

Try turning the volume of both devices to maximum and using your amp's volume control. I am not sure about your macbook pro but the output of the iphone is quite low, 1volt vs 2volts for most line level sources like cd players etc...The amp might be expecting devices with a higher output. I have found this to be the problem alot of the time when mixing pro with consumer gear and the same principle might apply here.

The macbook's output should be ok level wise though.

tbh the dacs in these sources are perfectly good, in fact the iphone 6's is very competent and certainly good enough for hifi.

I had the same problem as you regarding the output of a portable device into an integrated amp and bought the pure i-20 dock which is the best and cheapest way to get a digital signal from an iphone.( check it supports your phone though, I bought one for an old ipod classic) It also outputs 2volts.

Perfomance wise I felt it added sparkle, life to the music which I didn't particularly like but maybe that's what you are after. The airport express is a great solution, it also outputs 2volts and the dac is good in it as well.

As a last resort you can play with the eq settings on the macbook and ipod to perhaps get you want.

Ps If you listen to music from the iphone or macbook pro on a pair of headphones does it still sound the same? If it does then perhaps you don't like the way the dacs sound and getting a different dac might be the only solution.

PPs There is another solution to increasing the output level of your iphone line level gain boosters such as

http://www.amazon.com/Stereo-Line-Level-Amplifier-Adjustable/dp/B00I01ZNUS

http://www.ambery.com/histmiamwi20.html

Good luck

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts