Should I upgrade my Blu-Ray Player to match new TV ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

strapped for cash

New member
Aug 17, 2009
417
0
0
bigboss said:
gel said:
One thing I noticed about the Denon is that it shows up more grain than my Pioneer or Sony Blu-ray players, so I think this means it is picking up more content on the disc!
....or it means that the Denon isn't as sharp as the Pioneer or the Sony! ;)
Well that's just fighting talk! ;)
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
gel said:
Craig M. said:
Interesting test on tonights Gadget show! 3 bluray players ranging from £60 (Toshiba) to £800 (think that was the price - C.A. 751), all playing the same HD footage on 3 identical TVs at the same time. No difference whatsoever was the verdict.
I get why some don't see differences, my Pioneer is very similar to the new cheap Sony Blu-ray players, it is only when you look closely do you start to pick them apart, then the differences become obvious. The Gadget Show are really a bunch of clowns! The differences I saw between my Pioneer and the new cheap Sony Blu-ray players I saw were the Sony gave off a dirty screen effect on my Pioneer 5090 and the Pioneer 71 was as clean as a whistle the image, when you started to look out for this the quality of image started to stand out greatly!
AVForum reviewers don't find differences either. Are they also clowns?
 
D

Deleted member 2457

Guest
Juzfonesguv said:
gel said:
Craig M. said:
Interesting test on tonights Gadget show! 3 bluray players ranging from £60 (Toshiba) to £800 (think that was the price - C.A. 751), all playing the same HD footage on 3 identical TVs at the same time. No difference whatsoever was the verdict.
I get why some don't see differences, my Pioneer is very similar to the new cheap Sony Blu-ray players, it is only when you look closely do you start to pick them apart, then the differences become obvious. The Gadget Show are really a bunch of clowns! The differences I saw between my Pioneer and the new cheap Sony Blu-ray players I saw were the Sony gave off a dirty screen effect on my Pioneer 5090 and the Pioneer 71 was as clean as a whistle the image, when you started to look out for this the quality of image started to stand out greatly!
AVForum reviewers don't find differences either. Are they also clowns?
This is the What HiFi Forum and they do find differences in their reviews if you don't like it do one!
 
D

Deleted member 2457

Guest
Juzfonesguv said:
gel said:
Craig M. said:
Interesting test on tonights Gadget show! 3 bluray players ranging from £60 (Toshiba) to £800 (think that was the price - C.A. 751), all playing the same HD footage on 3 identical TVs at the same time. No difference whatsoever was the verdict.
I get why some don't see differences, my Pioneer is very similar to the new cheap Sony Blu-ray players, it is only when you look closely do you start to pick them apart, then the differences become obvious. The Gadget Show are really a bunch of clowns! The differences I saw between my Pioneer and the new cheap Sony Blu-ray players I saw were the Sony gave off a dirty screen effect on my Pioneer 5090 and the Pioneer 71 was as clean as a whistle the image, when you started to look out for this the quality of image started to stand out greatly!
AVForum reviewers don't find differences either. Are they also clowns?
I take some other their advice well, others not so well! It is not my first stop for advice for sure, it is my third probably!
 

relocated

New member
Jan 20, 2012
74
0
0
gel said:
Juzfonesguv said:
gel said:
Craig M. said:
Interesting test on tonights Gadget show! 3 bluray players ranging from £60 (Toshiba) to £800 (think that was the price - C.A. 751), all playing the same HD footage on 3 identical TVs at the same time. No difference whatsoever was the verdict.
I get why some don't see differences, my Pioneer is very similar to the new cheap Sony Blu-ray players, it is only when you look closely do you start to pick them apart, then the differences become obvious. The Gadget Show are really a bunch of clowns! The differences I saw between my Pioneer and the new cheap Sony Blu-ray players I saw were the Sony gave off a dirty screen effect on my Pioneer 5090 and the Pioneer 71 was as clean as a whistle the image, when you started to look out for this the quality of image started to stand out greatly!
AVForum reviewers don't find differences either. Are they also clowns?
This is the What HiFi Forum and they do find differences in their reviews if you don't like it do one!
That's what I love about this forum. Good, constructive engagement, even with people who have the audacity to not agree.

:roll:
 

f1only

Well-known member
Apr 7, 2010
278
0
18,890
With the Gadget Show when they compare things like the TV’s against each other, they never state whether they are calibrated or not. So you never have any idea if they are just the out of the box settings, this would give a completely different result to a TV that was properly ISF calibrated. I would also include various Blu-ray players playing the same disc, as surely you would be less likely to see the finer detail of said players on un-calibrated TV's.
 

dariushifi

New member
Apr 9, 2011
9
0
0
I totally agree with f1only.

Gadget show is OK in other staff, but they would be the very last resort at the very bottom of the list to me in helping to choose.TV, blue ray, or Hi-fi system. Factory default settings be it in TV or Blue ray does not mean best results. Therefore you have to try yourself with settings which suits you. Everybody’s attention to detail is different, but the most important is yours.

Headline on TV saying ‘ More expensive Blue ray player have more settings and can give ‘better’ PQ ‘ Would sound boring. But if you reveres it the other way round, it makes people debate, just exactly what we are doing now.
 
f1only said:
With the Gadget Show when they compare things like the TV’s against each other, they never state whether they are calibrated or not. So you never have any idea if they are just the out of the box settings, this would give a completely different result to a TV that was properly ISF calibrated. I would also include various Blu-ray players playing the same disc, as surely you would be less likely to see the finer detail of said players on un-calibrated TV's.
Gadget show is mainly aimed at the vast majority of the population who never bother to calibrate their TVs. People who know about calibration generally know where to look for reliable reviews.
 

Craig M.

New member
Mar 20, 2008
127
0
0
What did you think? (Not that I have any opinion one way or the other, my bdp is in a kitchen cupboard!)
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
gel said:
Juzfonesguv said:
gel said:
Craig M. said:
Interesting test on tonights Gadget show! 3 bluray players ranging from £60 (Toshiba) to £800 (think that was the price - C.A. 751), all playing the same HD footage on 3 identical TVs at the same time. No difference whatsoever was the verdict.
I get why some don't see differences, my Pioneer is very similar to the new cheap Sony Blu-ray players, it is only when you look closely do you start to pick them apart, then the differences become obvious. The Gadget Show are really a bunch of clowns! The differences I saw between my Pioneer and the new cheap Sony Blu-ray players I saw were the Sony gave off a dirty screen effect on my Pioneer 5090 and the Pioneer 71 was as clean as a whistle the image, when you started to look out for this the quality of image started to stand out greatly!
AVForum reviewers don't find differences either. Are they also clowns?
This is the What HiFi Forum and they do find differences in their reviews if you don't like it do one!
No need to be so abrupt, Gel.

There's no difference between BDP's in terms of 1080p playback, that is widely known, does this mean that people who imagine differences are clowns? I certainly wouldn't say that, though there are plenty of people being played for fools.
 

Craig M.

New member
Mar 20, 2008
127
0
0
daveh75 said:
Craig M. said:
What did you think? (Not that I have any opinion one way or the other, my bdp is in a kitchen cupboard!)
A poorly conducted, subjective test.
Do better (do objective ones exist?) tests produce different results?
 

daveh75

Well-known member
Jul 31, 2008
699
107
19,070
Craig M. said:
daveh75 said:
Craig M. said:
What did you think? (Not that I have any opinion one way or the other, my bdp is in a kitchen cupboard!)
A poorly conducted, subjective test.
Do better (do objective ones exist?) tests produce different results?
I've never bothered searching (and fwiw i dont see differences between BDPs, other than DVD upscaling capabilities) but a poorly run test, is a poorly run test, regardless of the result.
 

Craig M.

New member
Mar 20, 2008
127
0
0
Yeah, probably not the most exhaustive test ever. I'll butt out the thread now, I only bought a bdp for its iplayer function - which turned out to be a right p.i.t.a. to use. :roll:
 
D

Deleted member 2457

Guest
Juzfonesguv said:
gel said:
Juzfonesguv said:
gel said:
Craig M. said:
Interesting test on tonights Gadget show! 3 bluray players ranging from £60 (Toshiba) to £800 (think that was the price - C.A. 751), all playing the same HD footage on 3 identical TVs at the same time. No difference whatsoever was the verdict.
I get why some don't see differences, my Pioneer is very similar to the new cheap Sony Blu-ray players, it is only when you look closely do you start to pick them apart, then the differences become obvious. The Gadget Show are really a bunch of clowns! The differences I saw between my Pioneer and the new cheap Sony Blu-ray players I saw were the Sony gave off a dirty screen effect on my Pioneer 5090 and the Pioneer 71 was as clean as a whistle the image, when you started to look out for this the quality of image started to stand out greatly!
AVForum reviewers don't find differences either. Are they also clowns?
This is the What HiFi Forum and they do find differences in their reviews if you don't like it do one!
No need to be so abrupt, Gel.

There's no difference between BDP's in terms of 1080p playback, that is widely known, does this mean that people who imagine differences are clowns? I certainly wouldn't say that, though there are plenty of people being played for fools.
Apologies for being abrupt. Well, I have tried my best to explain in this thread how Blu-ray players are different, so I won't waste my time any longer.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
gel said:
Juzfonesguv said:
gel said:
Juzfonesguv said:
gel said:
Craig M. said:
Interesting test on tonights Gadget show! 3 bluray players ranging from £60 (Toshiba) to £800 (think that was the price - C.A. 751), all playing the same HD footage on 3 identical TVs at the same time. No difference whatsoever was the verdict.
I get why some don't see differences, my Pioneer is very similar to the new cheap Sony Blu-ray players, it is only when you look closely do you start to pick them apart, then the differences become obvious. The Gadget Show are really a bunch of clowns! The differences I saw between my Pioneer and the new cheap Sony Blu-ray players I saw were the Sony gave off a dirty screen effect on my Pioneer 5090 and the Pioneer 71 was as clean as a whistle the image, when you started to look out for this the quality of image started to stand out greatly!
AVForum reviewers don't find differences either. Are they also clowns?
This is the What HiFi Forum and they do find differences in their reviews if you don't like it do one!
No need to be so abrupt, Gel.

There's no difference between BDP's in terms of 1080p playback, that is widely known, does this mean that people who imagine differences are clowns? I certainly wouldn't say that, though there are plenty of people being played for fools.
Apologies for being abrupt. Well, I have tried my best to explain in this thread how Blu-ray players are different, so I won't waste my time any longer.
Apology accepted :)
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts