Should I move from LP 12 to Gyrodec?

rrm

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I have had an LP 12 (Valhalla, precirkus) for nigh on 20 years and it has given lots of pleasure BUT after getting new speakers ( Spendor A6) I am more aware than ever of the slightly thick sound of the Linn in the lower mids and how I wish for more transparency.

I have often thought that a gyrodec SE might be the answer but there is no dealer anywhere near me for a listen.Are there any analog folks who have made this move and can recommend it -or not..How do the two tables sound comparatively???. Or would it be better to upgrade the Linn with a cirkus +lingo

LP 12 Valhalla, Ittok, Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood MM

Minimax Tube phono stage, Plinius 8200, Spendor A 6

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Due to the better power supply (as you mentioned) and 20 years of improvements, the current Linn sounds much more neutral, but still very engaging.....imo. Well worth checking out before changing.

I had a similar LP12 with Valhalla (Ittok/Asak) back 20 years ago, and the mid-range bloom went well with the Naim amps of that time (in my case a 42/110)...but I can easily see how it might sound a little warm and relaxing with the Spendors.

I can't compare with the Gyrodek as I haven't heard one, but I do have a soft spot for the Linn...which makes me just a little biased.

Let us know if you make the comparison, and what you end up doing.

Cno

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Hello, had both, loved them to bits but which one, have to agree with frank harvey, re cartridge change to a moving coil but am not sure if your phono stage is capable of accepting MC, anyway the sound of both, had the gyro first with a rega rb 300 and g 1042 through an arcam amp, cant remember model and pro ac studio 120 speakers, the sound was detailed to a point of cd like sound but with that vinyl warmth, bass was low and tight while the highs and mids were clear and revealing but it just did not grab me, the linn was as you say a bit, not thick but vieled or vague but i had a different set up, same arm but with a grado black cartridge, leak stereo 20 and a croft micro pre amp and wharfedale linton 3 speakers, then i changed cartridge to an ortofon 2m blue, initially i thought what have i done but after about 20 odd so hours of run in the sound just opened up, then one night after listening to a be bop deluxe album it just hit me, wow what a sound the lows the highs the mids just gelled together it was an ear opener, i cant make you decide on your upgrade path but you have had the linn a good 20 years, maybe a tune up at your local dealer is all it needs, the service should include new springs and a thorough going over of all parts arm included, might be about £200.00 add in another cartridge of your choice say another 2 to 3 hundred and i think you would be happy, good luck.

A

Anonymous

Linn LP12 vs Michell Gyrodec

Okay, so I’m looking at my hifi supports and I can see my trusted LP12, Cirkus, Lingo, Ittock LVIII, Arkiv and a very striking Gyrodec, HR, RB300, MC25FL.

How do they compare?

First off – I have to say I like the understated Linn. By comparison, the Gyrodec looks brash and bling and cool to the people that still stick posters of Lambourghinis on their bedroom walls. In short, I prefer the Linn.

However – and it is a big however – look under the surface of the Gyrodec and you can see some very well thought out design cues. First – I love the way the plastic platter is physically bolted to the bearing, making a very secure connection. Also, the different materials eliminate the all metal bearing to stylus connection that gives the LP12 its distinctive (if rather pleasant) colouration. The suspended sub chassis is just that – suspended. This seems to give a very even and controlled ‘bounce’ and, because the springs are in tension, is far easier to set up and less prone to sideways oscillation. The range of Linn tweaks and upgrades makes me consider whether the original LP12 design really was that good. The completely decoupled motor is an elegant solution, though one that does require a very solid and vibration proof surface.

So, the sound – well I’m the first to admit I’m not comparing like with like. The Ittock/Arkiv should be in a different league to the RB300/MC25FL That said, the sound from the Gyrodec was simply stunning – silent background, tonally neutral – which leads me to the conclusion that the basic design of the Gyrodec turntable - including bearing quality, motor, and HR PSU – is better than the Linn. I’m scratching my head here – my LP12 is my pride and joy – I smile every time I play a record – it is still one excellent dec. But, after a few days of testing the Gyrodec alongside, I can appreciate the lack of colour added to the music. I find myself listening to more complete albums rather than sampling a few tracks – I find myself lost in the music rather than listening for the HiFi moment – and I still find myself looking up and saying Wow! I am now wondering what it would be like with a better arm – maybe a Techno Arm/Audiomods/Origin Live.

Overall, I am stunned that the Michell was so good – in it’s current format it is easily as good as my LP12. What it could do with a better arm and cartridge – who knows?

More worryingly, I’m beginning to like the spinning brass weights and the overall bling…

Personally - I would definitely move from LP12 to Gyrodec,

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Adding a Lingo won't really change the tonal balance of the LP12. You may be able to look at alternative arms and cartridges to tailor things a little, but that's best discussed with your friendly Linn dealer. You could also look at a Moving Coil cartridge, and maybe looking at a non tube phono stage.

The GyroDec will certainly relieve you of that thick sound you're experiencing. I would recommend the Tecno A arm, but if you want to tighten things up as much as possible, it'll be worth working towards an SME arm. But, whether you'll benefit from this change with a tube phono stage is another matter :)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The sound can be tightened up further with the Tecno A arm, or if you want to take it to extremes, either the SME IV or V arm.

For those that feel the gold weights underneath the player are a little "blingy" (personally, I'd order the deck with silver weights which look way better), the platter can be replaced with the Orbe platter, which does away with the weights altogether, replacing them with a thicker, heavier platter.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
martynjm said:
Linn LP12 vs Michell Gyrodec

Okay, so I’m looking at my hifi supports and I can see my trusted LP12, Cirkus, Lingo, Ittock LVIII, Arkiv and a very striking Gyrodec, HR, RB300, MC25FL.

How do they compare?

First off – I have to say I like the understated Linn. By comparison, the Gyrodec looks brash and bling and cool to the people that still stick posters of Lambourghinis on their bedroom walls. In short, I prefer the Linn.

However – and it is a big however – look under the surface of the Gyrodec and you can see some very well thought out design cues. First – I love the way the plastic platter is physically bolted to the bearing, making a very secure connection. Also, the different materials eliminate the all metal bearing to stylus connection that gives the LP12 its distinctive (if rather pleasant) colouration. The suspended sub chassis is just that – suspended. This seems to give a very even and controlled ‘bounce’ and, because the springs are in tension, is far easier to set up and less prone to sideways oscillation. The range of Linn tweaks and upgrades makes me consider whether the original LP12 design really was that good. The completely decoupled motor is an elegant solution, though one that does require a very solid and vibration proof surface.

So, the sound – well I’m the first to admit I’m not comparing like with like. The Ittock/Arkiv should be in a different league to the RB300/MC25FL That said, the sound from the Gyrodec was simply stunning – silent background, tonally neutral – which leads me to the conclusion that the basic design of the Gyrodec turntable - including bearing quality, motor, and HR PSU – is better than the Linn. I’m scratching my head here – my LP12 is my pride and joy – I smile every time I play a record – it is still one excellent dec. But, after a few days of testing the Gyrodec alongside, I can appreciate the lack of colour added to the music. I find myself listening to more complete albums rather than sampling a few tracks – I find myself lost in the music rather than listening for the HiFi moment – and I still find myself looking up and saying Wow! I am now wondering what it would be like with a better arm – maybe a Techno Arm/Audiomods/Origin Live.

Overall, I am stunned that the Michell was so good – in it’s current format it is easily as good as my LP12. What it could do with a better arm and cartridge – who knows?

More worryingly, I’m beginning to like the spinning brass weights and the overall bling…

Personally - I would definitely move from LP12 to Gyrodec,

Very nicely put..........and welcome to the forum btw.

Well said, Cno, a great post.

To the OP,I use the basic Michell model but it still gives a good dose of neutrality, recognisably un Linn-like. As you know, the Linn upgrade route is endless and costly. If you have the funds then you will get increasing neutrality. Alternatively a one-off and relatively modest cost, less px on the Linn?, will give you worry free and beautiful LP sounds.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts