Should I ditch my old Arcam or use it with a new decoder?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All

My first post on here so go easy! I own an Arcam AV50, quite a few years old but still sounds lovely bi-amped with an 8P power amp powering my Kef setup (Q65.2s, Q35s, Q95c.2 and PSW3000). Anyhow this was fine before my missus bought me a PS3 - where the AV50 only takes analogue inputs I am tied as cannot reap the rewards of the sound from the unit - do I get a current AV amp that can process HD stuff via the HDMI input, with pre-outs to feed the Arcam - and leave the speakers plugged into the arcam (meaning the Arcam would therefore act as a straight-through power amp), but the benefit is it'd also give me a nice sound for my Arcam Alpha 8SE CD straight into the Arcam for normal Stereo which does sound lovely - or do I ditch the AV50 and the 8P Power amp completely? Without hauling my setup to my local hifi shop I am stuck as cannot test these options fully - are nowadays AV amps (eg the Sony 2400 or the Denon 1910) sonically as good as what i'd hope to get when in stereo mode for normal CDs, or would my old Arcam still sound better on this front? If I can ditch the arcam (not that I want to!) it'd score brownie points with the missus as well as it'd mean another box or two gone from under the TV, where as i'm planning on adding the AV to complement - HELP!

Thanks all!

indyjase

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Hi there,

I was looking at ebay the other day and saw an interesting gadget aimed directly for someone in your position. You plug in an HDMI cable from a PS3 and it passes the signal out in analogue (7.1) RCA just like a standalone bluray player and another HDMI output goes to your TV. That would work as a great solution or just get a separate bluray with analogue outputs and keep the arcam. I'll have a look and see if I can find the name of the box. found a link http://www.tmfsolutions.co.uk/Octava_HDMIto71.htm I did find one on ebay from a company in the US and they sell them for just over $100.00. I hope this helps!

indyjase

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
LOL!!! yes I guess it kind of does seem like an ad....but in truth I was actually looking to see if there were any interesting receivers and I came across this gadget and although I have no need for it as my receiver has analogue inputs and I am not using a PS 3 as a bluray thought that it might be of use to a few people out there. I just wish I could have found the link for the one on ebay. It was from an american website trader thingie (as I am in the US, moved out here a few years ago!) and it seemed like the same thing just cheaper. Just a bit off topic here, I have to say living now in the states I really miss small AV and HI-FI shops because it seems here all you really have is bestbuy (large version of dixons really!) or a few highend stores where if you have to ask the price then you cant afford it mentality prevails. One extreme or the other really which is bad...oooo and one last quick thing no wh smiths type store either...if you go to walmart to get a magazine you can get anything you like but nothing on HI-FI or AV...I miss going to WH Smith in a lunchtime to get WHF then being late back to work after being so engrossed in it!!!!Ahhhh the good old days...Andrew do you think this would be a handy product for readers that had high end stuff and wanted to have HDMI HD sound and can anyone get anymore info...Thanks Jase

A

Anonymous

I have a similar issue with my AVR280, so had been looking at the Octava as a solution for adding a BD player to my system, and wanting to retain my Denon for its SACD and DVD-A capability (one of the key reasons I bought it).

I have no idea how it performs - there don't seem to have been any reviews in the UK

Now it seems that the Oppo Universal player might also come into play, but Lord knows where one can buy one as yet.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts